You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2018 9:39 am  #1

Dickson Lake?

Anyone pass through Dickson Lake last year? I went through in October 2106 and it was still pretty soupy, just wondering if it appears to be getting any better. 

3/16/2018 10:59 am  #2

Re: Dickson Lake?

I don't think they released any information over the winter months. The last advisory from the park regarding Blue Green Algae was the presence of Algae in Opeongo and Lake of Two River. That is in addition to the problems in Dickson, Hardy Bay and Ryan.

3/17/2018 1:52 pm  #3

It unfortunately appears to be getting worse, not better.

3/17/2018 3:11 pm  #4

That's too bad, hopefully it will run its course at some point. I saw on the friends of Algonquin Park website that they took sediment samples in 2015 to determine if it was part of a natural cycle but I haven't seen any results posted. Dickson was one of my favorite lakes in the park and I'd like to spend some time there again, shame about Opeongo and others as well, lets hope it doesn't get too wide spread.

7/03/2018 8:28 am  #5

I am told that the various cyanobacteria species that caused the bloom conditions in many lakes affected in Ontario have been present in the lakes since the ice age, but for some reason their numbers have increased. One of the researchers working on Dickson Lake will be present at Meet The Researcher Day to explain her work and answer questions.

9/18/2018 9:13 pm  #6

We paddled through Dickson lake from the 90m portage of Hardy's Bay/Lavieille to the 4895m to Round Island in mid August, stopping at a few campsites and taking in the lake in a meandering path to take in as much as we could of the lake while also trying to be as careful as we could.  We carried a 20 litre dry bag and our 4 litre filter bag full of water from 'northern' Lavieille juuussst in case we ended up wind bound, or something unexpected happened. 

I was expecting large 'blooms' of algae floating on the surface of the water like I've seen on Lake Erie in the past. We saw no visible sign, though I'm certain our visual inspection and sample size of one doesn't mean things have cleared up by any means.  The water 'appeared' to be very clear in every section we visited.  In any case, the campsites we stopped at certainly appear like they are enjoying the break!

2/16/2020 9:09 am  #7

So I was just looking for any updates on this and the official park website does't have any. No updates on here since fall 2018. Anyone care to post firsthand accounts from 2019 or links to official reports that I couldn't find.

I suspect this is basically the new normal for the area, but am hopeful as always.

12/08/2020 9:24 pm  #8

We visited Dickson again this year (2020) paddling the southern end from the Bonfield portage to the Little Dickson portage mid August. 

The water appeared cloudy with an iridescent blue-green colour.  The difference was noticeable compared to our visit in 2017. Perhaps (or perhaps not) related, there was a stale musty smell.  It wasn't very pleasant - we did not linger.

12/09/2020 9:54 am  #9

I as well traveled through Dickson this August. Water looked ok to me but we didn't take any chances. 

On the Opeongo water taxi back the boat operator asked if we fished Dickson. Um no... He claims that the BGA issue has been resolved but the MNR and Ontario Parks have yet to coordinate and officially designate the lake as clear. 

Wasn't sure what to make of that but until there is an official 'all clear' I'd continue to follow the guidelines.

12/09/2020 12:53 pm  #10

I hope it has cleared up. I’ve been hoping to take my boys on that loop but have been waiting patiently for the all clear. Plenty not other places to go In the mean time

2/01/2021 12:43 pm  #11

Hmm,.just noticed Ryan lake is bookable this year. Dickson still closed.. 

Ryan I think is new to be open.. eh? or did I miss it open back up last year.?

Last edited by ShawnD (2/01/2021 12:44 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/01/2021 4:13 pm  #12

ShawnD wrote:

Still shows closed on the F.O.A.P. website but that does not really mean anything. 
Spent a Saturday night there I think the week before they closed it. Boiled lake water for cooking and coffee and never had a problem.

2/01/2021 4:24 pm  #13

Rob wrote:

ShawnD wrote:

Still shows closed on the F.O.A.P. website but that does not really mean anything. 
Spent a Saturday night there I think the week before they closed it. Boiled lake water for cooking and coffee and never had a problem.

Much like most of Algonquin you can likely drink the water direct from the lake with no filter or boil and have no issue the majority of the time. I wouldn’t recommend trying though.

2/01/2021 4:25 pm  #14

Fully bookable on the reservation site.

Just hoping that this bodes well for Dickson opening up at some point.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/01/2021 4:30 pm  #15

That’s be amazing. My plans would be changing for this summer for sure to take my boys through there. Beautiful trip looping though Big crow and laveille. Even with the bonfield portage. Actually, probably because of the bonfield portage. No one want to carry that.

8/18/2022 2:10 pm  #16

Having gone thru Dickson in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and this year again. I have got to say the water quality seems to have done a 99% turnaround compared to the peak algae bloom. It looked as clear as a spring-fed lake, (maybe not whiskey jack, but definitely not tannin stained). 

8/18/2022 2:13 pm  #17

That’s great news. I’ll be there in a few weeks!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.