LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2018 9:39 am  #1

Dickson Lake?

Anyone pass through Dickson Lake last year? I went through in October 2106 and it was still pretty soupy, just wondering if it appears to be getting any better. 

3/16/2018 10:59 am  #2

Re: Dickson Lake?

I don't think they released any information over the winter months. The last advisory from the park regarding Blue Green Algae was the presence of Algae in Opeongo and Lake of Two River. That is in addition to the problems in Dickson, Hardy Bay and Ryan.

3/17/2018 1:52 pm  #3

It unfortunately appears to be getting worse, not better.

3/17/2018 3:11 pm  #4

That's too bad, hopefully it will run its course at some point. I saw on the friends of Algonquin Park website that they took sediment samples in 2015 to determine if it was part of a natural cycle but I haven't seen any results posted. Dickson was one of my favorite lakes in the park and I'd like to spend some time there again, shame about Opeongo and others as well, lets hope it doesn't get too wide spread.

7/03/2018 8:28 am  #5

I am told that the various cyanobacteria species that caused the bloom conditions in many lakes affected in Ontario have been present in the lakes since the ice age, but for some reason their numbers have increased. One of the researchers working on Dickson Lake will be present at Meet The Researcher Day to explain her work and answer questions.

Board footera