You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2017 5:14 pm  #1

time for a new frying pan

i am looking for any tripping frying pan suggestions , aluminum ,stainless, non stick, easy to clean, folding handle, weight, to be used on a fire /stove.?  what type of frying pan do you use and why?  reviews? thanks

3/20/2017 5:45 pm  #2

Re: time for a new frying pan

I like the MSR Alpine 4 Pot Set

I don't know why it's called a 4 pot set since there's only 3 pots, but they have 1L, 2L, and 3L volume. It comes with a gripper, the lids double as frying pans, no plastic/handles that could burn off, and it all nestles nicely together and is pretty light.

I haven't had any issues with bad heat distribution, and cleaning hasn't been that difficult, although I don't make very dirty/sauce heavy meals.

If I wasn't cooking on an open fire, I'd probably just bring some non stick.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/21/2017 7:18 am  #3

trippythings wrote:

I like the MSR Alpine 4 Pot Set

I don't know why it's called a 4 pot set since there's only 3 pots, but they have 1L, 2L, and 3L volume. It comes with a gripper, the lids double as frying pans, no plastic/handles that could burn off, and it all nestles nicely together and is pretty light.

It's a 4-people set  

3/21/2017 8:17 am  #4

We have an MSR Flex Skillet. We've had it for years and it's taken a beating. It has some dents from being dropped on rocks and such but the non-stick surface is still in excellent condition. 

The handle is removable and fits our other pots. It's lightweight and does well over a fire or on the stove. 

3/21/2017 10:25 am  #5

I have one the MSR flex skillet same as canoeclaire. With same history. i use rubber spatula for stirring so as not to scratch it, and its still in excellent condition too.

3/21/2017 9:01 pm  #6

Hey SP,

First of all, I am going to be up front and say that I have a problem with hoarding of camping equipment. OK, I feel better. Here are my thoughts on different options, comparisons and benefits (specifically for a non-stick frying pan). I've used 5 different kinds (in order of decreasing size): 

1) GSI Bugaboo 25cm pan
2) Trangia 25 frying pan
3) Primus LiTech
4) MSR (older version of Flex)
5) Trangia 27 frying pan

Size:
The pots are nested inside each other, again in order of decreasing size. 

Pot depth, again in order of decreasing size:

Specific thoughts: 
1) Trangia 27:
Shallow and light and durable. I like the fact it's shallow, I don't understand the need for a deep pan (i.e. Primus). The pot gripper is the handle, this works well and I've had no issues with scratching the edge. The titanium Toaks 2L pot will nest inside this, and I think it's my favourite for 1-2 people. In terms of durability, it does not come with a bag - I had to sew one from ripstop nylon (in trendy red). I also made a small cutting board that nests inside to protect the surface. I really think the bag and cutting board are the most important things for longevity. 

2) MSR Pot: 
Deeper than the Trangia 27, and wider. The 2L MSR steel pot nests perfectly in this. I think it comes with a bag which is essential. I modified a red cutting board to protect the bottom (and also fits in the Trangia 27, and is a strainer). I like this for 2 people, but Trangia is lighter and I like that the Toaks pot nests nicely inside. 

3) Primus LiTech
The Primus came with a folding handle, but it was coated with rubber and I removed it. It's really deep and it's heavy. Too big for the 2L MSR, and not big enough for the 3L MSR. I use the 3L Primus Campfire pot for 3-5 people, and this does nest inside the Primus. Not my favourite though.

4) Trangia 25 frying pan
Shallow, lighter and wider than the Primus. Great for groups of 3-5. Fits inside the bag for the Primus 3L pot. Also has an available cutting board/protector, Great overall. Highly recommend. Does not come with a bag, I use the MSR bag. 

5) GSI pan
Largest and heaviest, but I do like the sloping edges for flipping pancakes. If doing a lot of frying, this would be my choice for 3-5 people. Also the GSI Cascadian plate fits perfectly to protect it. Good durability, I used this one for 6-7 years now. 

So in summary: 
1) 1-2 people: Trangia 27 or MSR
2) 3-5 people: Trangia 25 or GSI (depending on the amount of frying. 

I would definitely find a cutting board/protector as well as a bag. If using anything other than the GSI, the pot gripper is a perfect handle that does not scratch. 

Cheers
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (3/21/2017 9:03 pm)

3/22/2017 12:21 pm  #7

I have used the GSI Bugaboo 25cm for about 7 years now...still holding up. great for pancakes, eggs, bannock etc.  I've cooked over a white gas, campfire and a twig stove with no issues.   I use plastic utensils on it only.
I  agree with Marko, good for 3-5 people.  
My only gripe (small one) is it's packability....doesn't fit in my 30L barrel.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.