You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2024 12:27 pm  #1

Swift osprey, looking for a new solo boat

Planning a test paddle at swift soon, and looking for a new solo sub 30lbs boat to replace the old trusty Osprey which rests in the mid-30's lbs .  I'm usually well under 200 lbs total load with pack plus myself (145+25lb pack/fishing stuff) total.  I like the narrow profile and speed of the Osprey.  I'm a bit skeptical of the packboat style seats - I like getting a high vantage point provided by a standard canoe seat.  I do double blade exclusively. 

Wondering if you guys had some advice on which boats to consider!

9/24/2024 1:43 pm  #2

Re: Swift osprey, looking for a new solo boat

To replace the Osprey you want to look at the Keewaydin 14. It will be pretty much the same boat but with the option of the adjustable seat height if you want to switch between kneeling and sitting. 

I went with a Shearwater demo over a Keewaydin 15 for the cost savings. The Keewaydin and Shearwater handled the same. 

9/24/2024 7:58 pm  #3

my keewaydin 15 is 27.5 lbs,, no skid plates,,   yoke is needed that clamps well, carbon gunwales are slippery,,  carbon yokes are like gold.

9/26/2024 9:11 am  #4

Personally if you are double blading exclusively I would just get a pack boat maybe a cruiser 14.8 at your weight.  I have a keewaydin 14 with a combi seat ( can install traditional seat or pack seat) I find myself using the pack seat more often then not. They don’t offer the combi seat anymore but if you ask them they might make you a boat with it. That or hedge your bet with their new multi height seat.

Keewaydin 14 is the right size solo/non packboat for you but again no longer see that on their website. They would likely make you one if you ask though.

Last edited by ShawnD (9/26/2024 9:14 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/26/2024 2:03 pm  #5

ShawnD wrote:

Personally if you are double blading exclusively I would just get a pack boat maybe a cruiser 14.8 at your weight.  I have a keewaydin 14 with a combi seat ( can install traditional seat or pack seat) I find myself using the pack seat more often then not. They don’t offer the combi seat anymore but if you ask them they might make you a boat with it. That or hedge your bet with their new multi height seat.

Keewaydin 14 is the right size solo/non packboat for you but again no longer see that on their website. They would likely make you one if you ask though.

Very cool!  Do you have any pictures of the kee 14 combi?  I haven't found any mention of it in their old YouTube videos. 

I went for a test paddle today.  I didn't ask about the kee 14 but I tried the kee 15.  Compared to the cruiser 14.8 the kee just felt like a lot of unnecessary width and boat for me

I asked about raising the seat on the cruiser and it was more comfortable with a few more foam pads underneath. Has there been any mods or solutions discussed on this forum about getting the seat a couple inches higher?  It would be absolutely perfect if only for those two or three inches of height.

9/26/2024 7:29 pm  #6

Video of my boat when it was new 7 yrs ago.

https://youtu.be/9Waat-ErET4?si=X5FCJQ_h87kjUjih

Placidboat works makes packboats with different height pack seats that are stackable. US manufacturer though. Rare to see one for sale up here.

You can see their seats here.

https://placidboatworks.com/how-to-choose-your-boat-lay-up/

Or maybe just a keewaydin 14 with their multi height seat. I have paddled a keewaydin 15. Too much boat for me too. The 14 is likely up your alley. Pretty sure they would make one for you if you ask.

Multi height seat can be seen here. At the 8 min mark. The lower height of that might work for you.

https://youtu.be/whnM6AyysUk?si=3Uhe09ys_Qg2APiw

I’m in Barrie and near a beach on kempenfelt bay if you want to paddle a keeywaydin 14 just shoot me a DM.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/27/2024 8:20 am  #7

ShawnD wrote:

Video of my boat when it was new 7 yrs ago.

That's a sweet looking little boat - maybe you're right and the 14 would fit me better.  I think I still need to go for another test paddle at swift as I didn't try their shorter cruiser or their "pack" line-up.  I might be back up that way - if they don't have a 14 on hand at swift I'll have to bug ya!

One thing I didn't consider is safety of re-entry on the cruiser... seems like it would be tough to get back in in the event of a spill. 

Nonetheless all of these boats seem better than my current Osprey that blows me around like a leaf... and they're all at least 10lbs lighter somehow!

9/27/2024 10:25 am  #8

The Cruiser will help with tracking when you're going in a straight line, but it won't turn as easily as your Osprey. 

I took another look at your target weight of 170 lbs total. That is light. You might even want to look for Cruiser 12.8. From the specs you would be close to the midpoint of the listed optimum load range. The midpoint of the optimum load range for a Cruiser 14.8 would be 210 lbs. That would still leave you fairly lightly loaded in the Cruiser 14.8 which would make you more easily blown around. 

Digging up the Osprey specs, the midpoint of the listed optimum load range for the Osprey was 190 lbs (120 - 260 lb range). The range for the Cruiser 14.8 is listed as 140 - 280 lbs for a midpoint of 210 lbs. Based on the #'s you would be sitting higher in the water in the Cruiser than you would be in the Osprey, so if having better control in the wind is a goal, the Cruiser 14.8 might not be an improvement.  I'd emphasize the "might" in that sentence because the Cruiser is a much different hull that is optimized for straight line tracking so even with a higher volume and capacity it might still handle more the way you want it to than the Osprey does. 

9/27/2024 11:21 am  #9

I have had an Osprey, a Hemlock Kestrel (cousin to the Kee 14) and a Cruiser 14.8. I've also owned 3 other Solo canoes for river travel.

Kee 14 can be set up as a pack boat or a kneeling boat. The Kestrel is a kneeler. The Cruiser 14.8 can only be set up as a pack boat.

In my experience, the Osprey is slower than either the Kee 14 or Cruiser 14.8. Not talking top speed. More the effort that is required to get the boat going from a standstill. The Osprey is a bit of a barge in comparison. Despite what published specs seem to indicate, you will feel lower in the water in the Cruiser. The Osprey has more freeboard to catch the wind. Particularly in the bow which can be a pain. On the other hand the Osprey has higher initial stability which can be nice for fishing and photography. It's flared bow, and higher shearline can also make it more comfortable in rougher weather.

The Kee 14 and Cruiser 14.8 are technically not as maneuverable as the Osprey. But in real world Lake, twisty stream and non white water paddling, I don't see this as an issue. Adapt your technique to lean off side and steer with power from the bow and the Cruiser/Kee/Kestrel have no problems with twisty streams like the Nip or Tim. With off side leans in these skinny boats, the pack boat style puts your centre of gravity lower and will feel more stable than a kneeling boat.

After having all 3 boats I have settled on the Cruiser 14.8 for lake travel. It's lighter, faster and has the capacity to handle my loads for a week or so. I only got rid of the Kestrel because my knees can no longer handle the over extension of kneeling in such a low boat. 

The reasons to get an Osprey include: Larger carrying capacity, Light duty whitewater, or to have a more forgiving easy going platform while in the canoe (photos, fishing, etc...)

9/27/2024 11:35 am  #10

RobW wrote:

You might even want to look for Cruiser 12.8. From the specs you would be close to the midpoint of the listed optimum load range. The midpoint of the optimum load range for a Cruiser 14.8 would be 210 lbs. That would still leave you fairly lightly loaded in the Cruiser 14.8 which would make you more easily blown around. 

good point Rob.  I think another test paddle is in order.  I think the difference I noticed in the cruiser 14.8 was that there is less boat above water to catch the wind... definietly was more work to turn 180 degrees than the Osprey though so something else is at play here to keep in more grounded and straight-tracking.  

MartinG wrote:

I have had an Osprey, a Hemlock Kestrel (cousin to the Kee 14) and a Cruiser 14.8. I've also owned 3 other Solo canoes for river travel.

Great insights as well Martin... that's exactly the situation I was worried about is the middle of the nip with all those turns LOL.  but yeah I think since 90% of my paddling is lakes it's an easy pick for the straighter-tracking more wind-resistant boat.  

Ok guys sounds like I need to arrange another test paddle for the 12.8... not sure about the pack 12.6 and 13.8 either.  I'll also have to sample the carbon footbar vs. the regular foot braces.  Didn't compare those side-by-side.  

The cruiser 14.8 is still at the top of my list... that thing was sweet.  Especially with an extra foam pad under my butt to get my hips into a more natural position.  Can't sink it down too low in the water now or i'll scrape more rocks XD hahahaah

Last edited by MichaelAngelo (9/27/2024 11:36 am)

9/30/2024 10:35 am  #11

What are your plans for your Osprey? 

10/02/2024 7:31 am  #12

ShawnD wrote:

Placidboat works makes packboats with different height pack seats that are stackable. US manufacturer though. Rare to see one for sale up here.

You can see their seats here.

https://placidboatworks.com/how-to-choose-your-boat-lay-up/

I actually just emailed them to inquire. Nice boats.  Not sure about a bungie yoke or wrap-around yoke though I guess you could still get clamp-on or pressure-fit yokes in there.  Swift's pin-in yoke system seems nice, although I guess disadvantage is having to move objects around the thwarts to find balance. 

Thoughts of the yoke systems anyone?

Shayne74 wrote:

What are your plans for your Osprey? 

Let me know if you're interested.  I just actually weighed it... it's 40lbs even.  Strange, must not be the kevlar lay-up I thought it was all these years!  Might ask swift what it actually is... LOL.  No wonder I kept taking my tandem langford instead...  I

Last edited by MichaelAngelo (10/02/2024 7:31 am)

10/02/2024 11:17 am  #13

Shayne74 wrote:What are your plans for your Osprey? 
Let me know if you're interested.  I just actually weighed it... it's 40lbs even.  Strange, must not be the kevlar lay-up I thought it was all these years!  Might ask swift what it actually is... LOL.  No wonder I kept taking my tandem langford instead...  I

Quite Possibly . I sold the tandem I had for sale and looking for a solo.  Would you be able to send photos and info to shayne.sorrell74@gmail.com ? Since the PM system isn't working on the forum this might work best. Thanks!

10/03/2024 1:57 pm  #14

FYI.  There's a Kewaydin 15 on KIJIJI right now in Kitchener Waterloo.  Like New. Guessing a Covid purchase that is not getting used.  Out of my price range ATM with 2 kids in university and one more soon. Might be worth a look. 

Swift 15ft Keewaydin solo canoe for sale (29lbs) | Canoes, Kayaks & Paddles | Kitchener / Waterloo | Kijiji Classifieds

Last edited by Shayne74 (10/03/2024 2:01 pm)

10/12/2024 10:25 am  #15

Update on the thread since I went back for another test paddle at Swift.  I really liked both the cruiser 12.8 and the 14.8.  Very tough decision to make but ultimately went for the faster speed I seemd to get in the 14.8.  I want both, LOL. 

Shayne I emailed you some photos.  If i like the cruiser will likely try and sell the Osprey (I know some people have posted about wanting one before).  

edit: I definltey took note of Placid boatworks and if I was in the states would probrably have gone with their boats. Maybe in the future!

Last edited by MichaelAngelo (10/12/2024 10:26 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.