You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2024 11:22 am  #1

Rod Placement for Trolling? Calling Double Blade Paddlers

I have the factory Scotty base fishing option (mount is on the fore thwart) in my Swift pack boat.
I haven’t found a comfortable rod placement for trolling that doesn’t interfere with my paddling stroke when trolling (especially when water conditions require a full stroke)

I am thinking of ditching the existing mount and adding a clamp on rod holder further towards the bow on the gunnel as well as using a longer rod and positioning it parallel to the water surface.
The hope being it will be out from the side sufficiently and forward so neither the line nor the rod is in the way.

The draw backs to that as I envision it is a real stretch forward to grab the rod and a longer rod = unwieldily when landing a fish.

Any other ideas???

Last edited by Taymar (4/25/2024 11:23 am)

4/25/2024 12:19 pm  #2

Re: Rod Placement for Trolling? Calling Double Blade Paddlers

i use a plastic clamp some times ,, a longer rod will get the line away from the canoe /yak ,

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/25/2024 1:10 pm)

4/25/2024 6:55 pm  #3

Thanks! I guess I will have to go to a clamp style rod holder further towards the bow (and work on my stretching) and a 7 foot rod. Hard enough to land a fish with the 6 footer and a stubby net though…..

Last edited by Taymar (4/25/2024 6:56 pm)

4/25/2024 8:26 pm  #4

I installed the Scotty mount as well. I bring a light single blade if I’m in my pack boat and use that when I fish and stow the double.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/26/2024 7:18 am  #5

ShawnD wrote:

I installed the Scotty mount as well. I bring a light single blade if I’m in my pack boat and use that when I fish and stow the double.

Thanks - Good idea! Rather than a redundant double blade spare for tripping I could bring a single.
I admit I never had tried a single blade in the pack boat.  Just imagined it would be awkward sitting so low.

What’s it like?

4/26/2024 8:42 am  #6

It’s fine. It isn’t terribly fast but I’m not looking to break any speed records while trolling. Paddle should be shorter. I bring a 50 inch bent carbon and permanently stow it until I’m fishing. You could go even shorter than 50 inches I think

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/26/2024 9:14 am  #7

yes, bent shaft is the way to go,, i have a carbon bent shaft as well,, 
     shawn,, i like the way that your paddle is stored in the canoe, 
you could use that rod holder for a tuna rod,, l.o.l.
     i prefer a nice light clamp, no screwing about with the thwart , 

4/26/2024 10:58 pm  #8

Hey Swede.  I think the close up of the shot may be overstating the size. It’s not that big..( I do need a sturdy rig though for all the massive brookies I haul in. lol.. not true) I started out using clamps and moved to this . It’s actually lighter than all the clamps I used before. I still use one on a different solo with pretty wood thwarts that I can’t bring myself to drill into.

4/27/2024 6:51 am  #9

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am poking around looking for a bent shaft 48 incher as I think this may kill two birds with one stone.
Hope to snag one before the spring trip in.

Last edited by Taymar (4/27/2024 6:51 am)

4/27/2024 9:59 am  #10

Just get the Scotty plastic clamp on (same as what Jon from Lost lakes uses) and clamp it on the opposite side you're paddling on while fishing. I like ShawnD's setup, except I have to us the plastic clamp-on due to the interference the protruding permanent plastic base/nub has with my vehicle roof. I use the rectangle spongies to secure it. Then double blade for travel, shorter single blade for fishing and/or exploring quietly.

4/29/2024 12:43 pm  #12

Thanks to all - trying to track down a bent 48 in wood (budget not there for carbon at this point) before the May trip.

4/29/2024 4:47 pm  #13

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.