You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2022 12:03 pm  #1

i am looking for a new tarp

any suggestions about buying a new tarp,, med size, silicone, would be ideal ,, i have looked at the mec tarps so far,,
          thanks    cheers

11/27/2022 5:09 pm  #2

Re: i am looking for a new tarp

I posted this on Instagram a while ago: 

"I ordered a Guide Lightweight Tarp from ⁠Aqua Quest at the end of the 2020 season.⁠
-⁠
I only had time to take it on one trip that year. It didn't rain, but I pitched the tarp anyways. I noticed very tiny needle size holes in the tarp, so I took pictures and videos and sent it to AquaQuest when I got back home. They immediately sent me a new tarp.⁠
-⁠
This year I've taken the tarp on all of my trips, and I've had some pretty heavy rainfall. A couple nights with 20mm, and a handful more days with 5-10mm. Everything has stayed bone dry underneath... not a single drop has made it through.⁠
-⁠
I also had some pretty strong windstorms on those trips with gusts up to 40-50km/hr and the tarp held up like a champ.⁠
-⁠

This isn't sponsored by AquaQuest but I just wanted to share that they make an awesome product and have awesome customer service as well. If you're in the market for a new tarp I'd highly recommend giving them a try.⁠"

I've been using that replacement they sent me ever since and haven't had any issues with it. It's the Guide Lightweight Tarp, it comes in a variety of different sizes.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

11/27/2022 10:23 pm  #3

I will also second Aqua Quest Tarps.  I have two, in the Guide series a 10x10 and a 13x10.  Both tarps are excellent plenty of points to tie ropes to. I purchased the bigger tarp for when I'm not canoeing solo.  Waterproof, did very well on the windy days I've had in the backcountry.
Before making the purchase I emailed a number of questions for Aqua Quest, they responded in a professional and timely matter and answered any questions I threw at them.  

If I ever have to buy another tarp, I'll certainly buy from Aqua Quest again.  No I'm not a rep for them or anything, just a very happy Customer.  

11/28/2022 7:49 am  #4

I use the MEC silicon guide tarp the larger of the 2 sizes and it has become one of my favorite pieces of gear.  Never have I had any issues with it. lots of tie out points easy to pack up into its stuff sack with room for ropes. It has held up through heavy rains and wind leaving us dry and cozy.  I have never tried a Aqua Quest tarp but have heard good things about them as well. Just thought I would share my experience with the MEC tarp.

Recent series on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qiAJQaeWFPw

11/28/2022 9:04 am  #5

thanks for the insights Captain and K.N.W,,
  i have looked at both tarps as mentioned above,,
  the mec. tarp is on sale until nov 28th
 cheers

11/28/2022 9:41 am  #6

11/28/2022 8:20 pm  #7

thanks trippythings for your detailed reply,,
  rob w i have looked at the cooke custom products ,, very nice  thanks
     cheers

12/01/2022 4:04 pm  #8

You can get CCS tarps at Canadian Outdoor Equipment now and avoid the whole " unknown duty amount" issue..

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/tarps.html

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

12/01/2022 6:03 pm  #9

Knox On Woods wrote:

I use the MEC silicon guide tarp the larger of the 2 sizes and it has become one of my favorite pieces of gear.  Never have I had any issues with it. lots of tie out points easy to pack up into its stuff sack with room for ropes. It has held up through heavy rains and wind leaving us dry and cozy.  I have never tried a Aqua Quest tarp but have heard good things about them as well. Just thought I would share my experience with the MEC tarp.

I have the same tarp which must be 15 or more years old and still going strong!

12/02/2022 8:01 pm  #10

thanks s.d. and y.c for your ideas

12/05/2022 12:52 pm  #11

I have three MEC tarps (Super Tarp, Guide Tarp and Scout Tarp) and they have been FANTASTIC.  I've had them all for well over ten years now.  If I were in the market for a new tarp (one of these days I expect I'll need to buy a new one) I will be getting an Aquaquest as well for the reasons mentioned above in other posts.

12/05/2022 1:46 pm  #12

thanks steve e,, i have a mec scout tarp now,, no complaints,,  but switching to little bigger silicone tarp

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.