You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2022 6:05 pm  #1

HELP FINDING E.G.B. blinker spoons,,

these spoons have become incredibly difficult to find in canada,, would anyone on here know of a place that has these spoons in stock,,
        believe me, i have searched every where with little to no luck at all,,apparently not shipping to canada,,
   made in Switzerland but i can not find a website,, thanks 
      cheers 

8/01/2022 6:55 pm  #2

Re: HELP FINDING E.G.B. blinker spoons,,

8/01/2022 7:00 pm  #3

Apologies if you already looked here: https://www.coolwateroutdoors.com

8/02/2022 9:04 am  #4

thanks for the help,, i have looked at the web site before and i have talked to management ,,  i find these blinkers to be very expensive,,  i am trying to shop around,,  i did get three,, number 6,, 1/2 oz blinkers from e-bay for $51.00 all in ,,  number 3 and 3B are ideal
  cheers

8/02/2022 7:06 pm  #5

Question - why does the Swedish Pimple want EGB Blinkers?

8/03/2022 10:35 am  #6

swedish pimple wrote:

thanks for the help,, i have looked at the web site before and i have talked to management ,,  i find these blinkers to be very expensive,,  i am trying to shop around,,  i did get three,, number 6,, 1/2 oz blinkers from e-bay for $51.00 all in ,,  number 3 and 3B are ideal
  cheers

they have always been crazy $$$, but they work. The knockoffs don't hold a candle. It's too bad the finish on them doesn't last very long. An oldtimer I know would clearcoat them when brand new which helps with longevity. I have a box of about 40 that have no finish left on them. If I knew the process behind painting them I might attempt it, but it looks like the background colours are actually anodized

8/03/2022 2:47 pm  #7

thanks for replies ,, i do use swedish pimples for jigging while ice fishing mostly, and for jigging deep basins for trout,, i like the e.g.b. blinkers  for casting and trolling with my lead core outfit,,
    some spoons will clean up nicely with a wee bit of tooth paste and or steel wool,, after the clean up, i touch up the spoons up with clear coat nail polish,, 
    i hope this helps,, thanks    cheers

8/05/2022 9:15 pm  #8

Hey Swede ..... Curious about your questions of finding treble hooked lures , with your strong view  "  KILL A BASS SAVE A TROUT!!  also the trout creel limits should be lower,, anglers need to limit there catch, not catch there limit !!"

Can ya see how ya might have stirred the pot with that one ?  I'll gladly add a bit of spice to that discussion as it relates to protecting Algonquin Park's post glacial strain of squaretails . Quite obvious to us all that treble hook lures are allowed in AP ,... as you well know , when most squaretails  swallow a trebel hook , they're done for dinner and ya can forget yer catch n release sentiment .
Doug ... I'm soundong like a trout snob here and so be it  .... after fly fishing in New Hampshire and Vermont a while back ....with the signage as clear as the nickel plated revolver on the belt of a State Trooper / Warden ...who so kindly remined us if they caught you dunking a treble hook in their rivers ... ya'd lose yer truck ,  pay a hefty fine and good luck if ya had enough gas money ta get back ta Canada .... Eh !

Last edited by CptCanadaSid3Cups (8/05/2022 9:56 pm)

8/06/2022 11:26 am  #9

gee,, two words for ya barb less,,, you left that out of my earlier message eh!!   how could you miss that??
     i just hung the phone up from the orris fishing academy in vermont,, the several people that i interviewed told me that there are no restrictions in vermont regarding the use of treble hooks,, and none that they could remember,, maybe on the new york side of lake champlain?? but you stated that you were fishing in VA. correct,, the only lake specific regulation was on noise pond ( stocked i believe) and the orris people did not know where the hell that is,, 
 vermont also allows you to keep 8 trout from streams, and rivers,, this means  8 total  of any  combo of brook trout, brown or rainbows,,  
    i am thinking that must be a robust fishery,, 
  8 ice fishing lines, allowed under general fishing regs,  15 lines allowed on lake Champlain, and 6 on the Connecticut river,, ,, each line shall not have more than 2 baited hooks or more than 3 artificial flies or more than 2 lures with out bait,,  that is just for starters,,
     2 lines allowed for open water fishing or 3 fly lines or two without baits,,  with treble hooks,, w.t.f. John
  paul brown game warden cell number  802 229 9191
   shall i contact the new hampshire  fish and game to get the facts,, is that the story that you are sticking to.
  please john post away but please do not look for trouble or shall i say treble???

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/06/2022 11:29 am)

8/06/2022 11:41 am  #10

Doug ........ KILL A TREBLE HOOK SAVE A TROUT !!

8/06/2022 12:32 pm  #11

Let's lighten it up a bit. What's the consensus on worms?

8/06/2022 1:38 pm  #12

ok lets compare,, you could probably deep throat one farmers sausage (single hook) but you could not deep throat three farmers sausages tied together (treble hook)  ,, same idea my friend .  any fish will gulp a single hook much more readily than a treble,,  just fish f ing barbless,, pinch the barbs  with pliers,, very simple,,
     i caught a laker several weeks ago that seemed to have attacked the spoon from the side because the hook was firmly planted in the eye of the trout,, although fishing barbless i had to keep that laker because it was bleeding like crazy,, never return a bleeding fish,, the fish will die a horrible death ,of fungus and illness related to the punctures.   ya cannot win them all johnny cakes
     better yet phone the algonquin park fishery biologist and ask him/her,,, 

8/06/2022 4:30 pm  #13

Hey Sweede just got home from Marathon and nothing in town. For fun popped into the office and visitors centre in Pukaskwa on the way by and nada.  also nothing on Mani.
The hunt continues.

Last edited by Rob (8/06/2022 4:32 pm)

8/06/2022 4:36 pm  #14

scratchypants wrote:

The local pickerel and trout population love them, especially when presenred at the end of a single hook pickerel rig.

8/06/2022 5:44 pm  #15

Rob wrote:

scratchypants wrote:

The local pickerel and trout population love them, especially when presenred at the end of a single hook pickerel rig.

Tongue in cheek, Rob. There's a local stream here where if you showed up with a spinning rig you'd be shamed back to your vehicle.

Edit: to clarify, I'm an avid spinning angler and have no shame stacking the odds in my favour.

Last edited by scratchypants (8/06/2022 5:46 pm)

8/06/2022 8:24 pm  #16

Hey Doug ..... sorry fer such a short reply , and not gettin back ta ya sooner .  I was busy tending to the chickens , having ta spray them down , as they don't fair to well in this heat .
Ya may want to give that lad a call back and ask about designated stretches of prime trout rivers that are definitely restricted to fly fishing ( no bait dunking treble hooks ) .... with specific areas where one can't cast up river with a fly .
A picture of my fishing bud , no bait dunkers allowed . Advantage to the fish , which adds to the real sport of landing one.

My experience with treble hooks is different from yours , and is why I don't use them when fishing in Algonquin Park . As a young lad in me twenties , just learning the ropes ..... I found treble hooks caused a higher morbidity to trout as they spent more time out of water , in attempt to release multiple prongs .
A picture as an example , this beaut Algonquin Laker didn't even leave the water , a quick turn of the wrist , and never a hand touched it ..... would've harvested it , but didn't bring a fry pan large enough .

As fer the grade school insult of johnny cakes ( good one ) , haven't heard that one since a young lad livin in The Soo , where me pa would bring us up to Sand River and beyond fer some fine squartail fishin .

Doug .... it will be sacrilege for me to put this treble hook in me gear , but will gladly do so to give to you , if we ever meet up along the Nip @ Nadine .... Luckless  or Lynx . I'll give ya good pat on the back , fer yer big Win , so ya don't continue the burden of stroking yer own Ego .

Doug  ...just fer fun ..... I'm sure ya'll get it on the first guess , what is the frame fer that lure .... I left a soul patch fer a hint  .

Last edited by CptCanadaSid3Cups (8/08/2022 5:49 pm)

8/06/2022 10:22 pm  #17

beauty john,, as always you are such a wordsmith,,,  this thread has made my weekend,,,, i have the same spoon,,  except for the "algonquin park fishing survey"  i have several eppingers in me kit,,  i fish with the fellow that handed out those lures and he toured the plant  years ago,,  he has been rehabbing a speck lake  for the last 5 years with remarkable results,, i can arrange a tour if ya want,, along with a power point presentation,,, awesome stuff
      as far as the survey goes,, i never did fill out a survey form, no bloody way would i cough up any fishing info,, let them find out for themselves,, but not from this kid.
   lynx and luckless and catfish this fall would be great,,  i have never been up the nip,,  i was up the pet this spring,, lots of elbow grease was required,,,,    
        cheers   to all  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.