You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2022 10:50 pm  #1

But the loveliest of all was the Loonicorn!

When my kids were little, I used to sing Irish Rover songs for them, and even sang a few of them at campfires for my sons' Cub Scout pack.  It isn't that I have a fabulous voice (trust me, I don't), I just enjoy their music and the kids always seem to respond to it.  

In recent years, I've made a little tradition of singing my own special version of "The Unicorn Song" when I'm on a canoe trip, whether I'm alone or not.  My version is called "The Loonicorn Song".  (not very complicated, all it takes is changing one word).  If you ever hear me in the park, please refrain from chucking rocks.  Just roll your eyes from a distance.

After years of me dropping non-subtle hints, my 19-year old baby girl painted a picture of a Loonicorn and gave it to me this morning for Fathers Day.  Pretty cool! The real painting is brighter, my camera kind of yellowed it a bit.

As I think of it, you can hear me sing most of The Loonicorn Song on the one and only video I've uploaded to Youtube, which is of my recent May 2022 trip.  Just look up "Moosewhizzer Dave" on Youtube, then prop your eyes open with toothpicks.  And ignore those times when I sing "Unicorn" instead of "Loonicorn".....

Last edited by MooseWhizzer Dave (6/19/2022 10:51 pm)

6/20/2022 7:58 am  #2

Re: But the loveliest of all was the Loonicorn!

On one computer in the house, the image appears with the post.  One the other computer, nope.  So, I'm posting the image again  Would appreciate it if anybody would let me know if they can see it or not.

6/20/2022 8:02 am  #3

I can see it, looks good. 

6/20/2022 9:11 am  #4

outstanding Davey,, great work,,

6/21/2022 11:53 am  #5

Great loonicorn portrait!
Just wondering: I have no problem believing the reports about green alligators and long-necked geese in Algonquin. I know for sure that cats and rats are often reported, too. The common chimpanzee, yes, there have been occasional sightings, thus the name, "common" chimpanzee.  Nonetheless, I'm a little sceptical about the presence of humpty-back camels. Those are probably just the Canadian moose. When those guys are annoyed or threatened, they really get their backs up!

6/21/2022 12:25 pm  #6

Thank you, I'll tell my daughter.  I wish the photo was as bright as her image, because there's a lot of color, including those subtle forest green elements around the head.

I have often wondered how it could be that loonicorns would suffer when "the waters came down and sorta floated them away", but as you well know, "that's why you've never seen a loonicorn, to this very day."

7/10/2022 8:29 am  #7

Last edited by swedish pimple (7/10/2022 8:53 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.