You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2021 7:57 pm  #1

just off the phone from ontario parks,, algonquin opens june 8th?

i was told that algonquin and other parks are open starting june 8th,, i was told that a announcement  has been made made,,

6/02/2021 8:57 pm  #2

Re: just off the phone from ontario parks,, algonquin opens june 8th?

I have a trip booked for June 14th so I'm a little nervous about a partial cancellation with the 'announced' opening coming on the 16th.  So earlier today I was seeing when trips could be booked - couldn't book the 7th but was able to book starting on the 8th.  I partially listened to Ford's opening plan but didn't hear anything specific to park openings though he fell back on his earlier message about allowing provincial travel starting on the 14th (again)... I'm so used to the goal posts moving that I wasn't too heartened about being able to book on the 8th.  Guess hearing from you swede leaves me feeling hopeful!

6/02/2021 10:28 pm  #3

I listened to the press conference today and they said nothing about it. Maybe the announcement will be tomorrow.

6/03/2021 4:07 am  #4

I think it's highly unlikely Ontario Parks knows when they're reopening. They're slowly pushing back the date because they have no idea what the government might do from day to day, and don't want to get caught in a situation where they cancelled thousands of reservations that are suddenly made valid by a government announcement. On June the 6th (or thereabouts), the current June 8th date will get pushed back a few more days. 

6/03/2021 9:14 am  #5

Got the message that one of our reservations straddling June 8th has been partially cancelled and that if I update by the 4th I can keep the last days of that trip from the 8th on. Already made other plans and will not update. Had enough disappointments this year.

6/03/2021 9:39 pm  #6

Concur 100% with Uppa - I would be shocked if things open on the 8th. Either way, I already lost my spring outing.

Last edited by hiker72 (6/03/2021 9:41 pm)

6/04/2021 11:37 am  #7

June 11th my friends.

6/04/2021 12:08 pm  #8

RCSpartan wrote:

June 11th my friends.

This is like following the ice out date thread. Anybody want to bet money on that date? What are the Vegas odds?

6/04/2021 12:09 pm  #9

It's a lock...

6/04/2021 12:26 pm  #10

Death of a thousand delays.

6/04/2021 1:21 pm  #11

Ontario Parks Twitter post around noon on June 4:  "The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks will be extending the temporary closure of campground and backcountry campsites and roofed accommodations, like cabins, yurts and cottages, at all Ontario provincial parks up to and including June 10 at this time. "  

6/04/2021 5:32 pm  #12

Daily cases were down to 699 a couple of days ago and we are now back over 900.  Very disappointing!

6/04/2021 8:47 pm  #13

yellowcanoe wrote:

Daily cases were down to 699 a couple of days ago and we are now back over 900.  Very disappointing!

The cases always fluctuate due to testing patterns. Mon and Tue are always low days because they represent the weekend testing numbers. Wed to Sat are higher cases of the week.

The 7-day average has consistently decreased since the lockdown started. Last Friday cases were 1250ish, compared to 900ish today.

Lock-downs work, but they need to be appropriately targeted and prompt. It's insane that workplaces with outbreaks stay open, while camping is off... what can you do but vote in 2022... in the mean time, cases are coming down and hopefully we'll be in the backcountry soon.   

Cheers
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (6/04/2021 8:48 pm)

6/05/2021 7:10 am  #14

Last year, parks did not open until june22 if i recall correctly. I was second in line at the Killarney park office @8am .
So June 11th is ahead of last years opening. But crown land camping was allowed last year. As you might know from some of my earlier posts, this is a real " bone of contention". with me. Lets hope the june 11th date is written in pen this time.

6/05/2021 7:12 am  #15

wetfoot30 wrote:

Last year, parks did not open until june22 if i recall correctly. I was second in line at the Killarney park office @8am .
So June 11th is ahead of last years opening. But crown land camping was allowed last year. As you might know from some of my earlier posts, this is a real " bone of contention". with me. Lets hope the june 11th date is written in pen this time.

Last year I started my week in APP on June 2nd (legally 

Last edited by ATVenture (6/05/2021 7:13 am)

6/05/2021 7:15 am  #16

ATV is right, last year the parks were open June 2nd.

6/05/2021 8:15 am  #17

Thankyou, I stand corrected. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.