You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2021 4:46 pm  #1

Ontario Closes Crown Land Camping

Bunch of BS if you ask me. Makes me wonder when Algonquin will open up for camping. Wouldn't be surprised if it's closed the whole month of May. Sick of this nonsense. 

https://twitter.com/ONresources/status/1382786532688465923

4/15/2021 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Ontario Closes Crown Land Camping

my wife " lime juice lilley " and me were just talking about this at supper time.  closing camping on crown land and curfews next, most likely,, what is next???
   canadian / toronto /vancouver/  airports to the best of my knowledge, is still open and excepting flights from india and brazil,,, the hotel quarantine is not air tight,, close the bloody air ports like after 9/11.  next up cancelling inter-provinical travel,, starting in b.c.
    2000,000 new cases in india today,, not so sure about brazil, because the abacus ran outta beads?
        big time  failure from the guy? in ottawa. please remember at the ballot boxes when the time comes,, do not be persuaded by the budget spending announcements next monday!!  trudeau fiddles while families get burned!!
  also they all got a pay raise april first the same day that the carbon taxes increased !!! 

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/16/2021 6:57 am)

4/15/2021 9:40 pm  #3

Well there goes the ice out trip plan A through Z... I guess I'll go visit Walmart now...

4/15/2021 9:47 pm  #4

according to ontario federation of anglers and hunters press release today ,,, natives are exempt from this order,, but why??? how can the powers that be pick and choose?
  covid19  three cases at peterborough west walmart today ,, but that is not considered an out break.  better change your plans mate!!

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/15/2021 9:47 pm)

4/16/2021 12:12 am  #5

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Well there goes the ice out trip plan A through Z... I guess I'll go visit Walmart now...

That was my  first thought, I can't hang out on my own in the woods but I can still go shopping.

That said, I'd rather we do short hard lockdowns than whatever reactionary political decisions are going on right  now.

4/16/2021 6:38 am  #6

Golf anyone?

Is it safe to reuse someone else's broken tee? Asking for a friend

4/16/2021 7:33 am  #7

swede the problem with the airports is that re- entry to Canada by citizens and landed immigrants is guaranteed under the Constitution and laws, and the only way to close them is to declare a National Health Emergency, and institute Martial Law to suspend the Constitution. That's a slippery slope we don't want to slide down.
Enforcement is unfortunately up to the individual police depts. who unfortunately can only issue you a summary offence ticket and give you a fine.

4/16/2021 7:56 am  #8

Good points Griz but I am living under a health emergency lock-down and a form of 'martial law' has already been instituted. Cutting bait or fishing?

4/16/2021 8:12 am  #9

J.T.. `s  old man P.E.T. when he was prime minster brought in a marshal law order during the F.L.Q . crisis in the early 1970`s.  and i think that only two people were killed when that was brought into effect. my point is that it has been done before. 

4/16/2021 8:54 am  #10

Here is a thoughtful comment I’m pasting from Reddit by user CanuckBacon (not me):

I struggled to understand why they would do it, but have found three explanations that make at least some sense:

• To stem future May Long plans, as big bonfire parties have already been the source of transmission elsewhere (Grey Bruce). COVID-19 spreads less effectively outdoors but when people drink alcohol and party, they often get real close to each other
  • The cost of rescuing someone in danger or who needs help is higher right now because emergency services are mainly focused on COVID-19, especially ICUs in many places.
  • Avoiding people travelling. In the summer if people in Southern Ontario see that's there's tons of camping up here (because provincial parks are closed to camping right now). If people in big cities experiencing major outbreaks travel to"get away from it" they could end up in rural communities for food, gas, etc and interacting with people in settings where people don't have their guard up as much.

End quote.

So for those complaining about exemptions to the rule for treaty rights, keep in mind that the indigenous treaty-rights holder is not going to be driving North from Toronto to invade crown land. Likewise, if you live next to crown land, nobody cares what you do. This is to stop Bobby and Suzie from dragging their camper up highway 400 or whatever, getting a flat, breathing on the repair people, going to Tim’s, going to your local food-mart, breathing on you, and then invading your peaceful logging road campsite.

Last edited by Methye (4/16/2021 8:54 am)

4/16/2021 9:38 am  #11

The only guarantee I can provide.....some will say it goes to far, others not far enough.

4/16/2021 10:11 am  #12

Yep, while I don't agree with it I can understand that it is a way of reducing travel mainly from the GTA. Just need to adapt- long day trips with early mornings. No sight in end with very few vaccines, international travel spreading new variants and no enforced quarantine and two pathetic dolts Ford (Freeland) and Trudeau calling the shots. 

4/16/2021 10:55 am  #13

Methye wrote:

Here is a thoughtful comment I’m pasting from Reddit by user CanuckBacon (not me):

I struggled to understand why they would do it, but have found three explanations that make at least some sense:

• To stem future May Long plans, as big bonfire parties have already been the source of transmission elsewhere (Grey Bruce). COVID-19 spreads less effectively outdoors but when people drink alcohol and party, they often get real close to each other
  • The cost of rescuing someone in danger or who needs help is higher right now because emergency services are mainly focused on COVID-19, especially ICUs in many places.
  • Avoiding people travelling. In the summer if people in Southern Ontario see that's there's tons of camping up here (because provincial parks are closed to camping right now). If people in big cities experiencing major outbreaks travel to"get away from it" they could end up in rural communities for food, gas, etc and interacting with people in settings where people don't have their guard up as much.

End quote.

So for those complaining about exemptions to the rule for treaty rights, keep in mind that the indigenous treaty-rights holder is not going to be driving North from Toronto to invade crown land. Likewise, if you live next to crown land, nobody cares what you do. This is to stop Bobby and Suzie from dragging their camper up highway 400 or whatever, getting a flat, breathing on the repair people, going to Tim’s, going to your local food-mart, breathing on you, and then invading your peaceful logging road campsite.

Thanks for posting this Methye.

These explanations make sense to me. I don’t really have a problem with shutting everything down, including camping, as part of a stay at home order. What I’m struggling with is the selective nature of the restrictions. As Petey pointed out, golf is still available and I’d say that’s as likely to facilitate transmission as camping (although probably wouldn’t carry the same risk of spreading between geographic areas).

I dunno. This all sucks. I really hope we get this under control and will see restrictions lifted in early May, but I’m beginning to think we might be looking at a repeat of last spring as far as the Park’s opening to camping goes.

4/16/2021 11:24 am  #14

Methye wrote:

End quote.

Well thought out. I don't have a problem with them shutting this down. It will suck when the shut down camping in May too but it is what it is.

4/16/2021 3:07 pm  #15

chew over this one,, loop hole confirmed by my m.p.p. office
      i just got off of the phone from talking to my p.c. member of parliament,, this person confirmed for me when i questioned about the use of federal land in ontario. ( national parks canada) the trent severn waterway from lake ontario to georgeon bay is all federal property. this person confirmed that any order not to camp on this property would have to come from ottawa not queens park. there fore you could paddle the trent severn waterways and camp at the locks grounds with out any problems,,, according to the talking head on the phone. there are some very nice spots along the waterway.
   does any one else have any insights??? thanks  

4/16/2021 3:18 pm  #16

The Trent Severn doesn’t open until mid May.

4/16/2021 3:30 pm  #17

keeping options open,,  new lock down date mid may? algonquin opening may 14th? 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.