You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2020 3:37 pm  #1

Bent Shaft Paddles

Can anyone offer advice on Bent Shaft Paddles? I'm intrigued having just watched Jon and Erin's Quetico trip on youtube how the bow person was always using one. i've looked around but can't seem to find where i could rent one to try it out on my next trip. any hints, suggestions, experience with Bent Shaft paddles and the pros/cons?

9/23/2020 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Bent Shaft Paddles

Hey there. So I like bent shaft blades and specifically carbon ones. I have all but given up using wooden paddles the weight difference is just too much. 10 ozs vs 20-30oz. When tandem it is usually a 12 degree bent in the bow and a 0 degree carbon in the stern. I have tried using a full 12 degree in the stern and I much prefer a straight shaft for control. I know others that make it work just fine though.

For solo I use something in the middle as a compromise. A 6 degree. I find it works extremely well. Very light, still good control and a little extra power.

I’m not sure anyone rents them. Have never seen that. If you are anywhere near me I have 2 wooden ones I would loan out for you to try. 1 custom made and 1 wooden carbon combo made by Sanborn canoes. Both are 12 degree I think. Sanborn one is much lighter. 15 ozs.

I’m in Barrie and our torsos would have to be about the same. Shoot me a DM if you are interested.
Cheers.

Last edited by ShawnD (9/23/2020 3:58 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/24/2020 7:34 am  #3

Algonquin Outfitters rents bent shaft paddles.  I rent one every time and leave my old paddles at home.

9/24/2020 7:43 am  #4

great topic,, i find that my red tail , bent shaft paddle , manufactured in hastings ontario,, helps with my chronic  tennis elbow,, less stress on the joint as i move through the paddle motion,, at least in my case,,

9/24/2020 8:48 am  #5

much appreciate the comments and details folks! i will definitely be trying one on my next trip- tentative for Oct 18th 5 day loop

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.