You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2015 7:49 pm  #1

lunar halo tonight meaning

just back from giving my yorkie (axel) a walk,,,i did notice a ring around the moon. a change in the weather is on the way? and the weather network calls for warming up and rain coming. 
      over the years we have all heard weather folk lore.  such as red sky at night sailors delight and red sky in morning sailors take warning and sun dogs too.  do you have any other weather signs that are found in nature that are kinda strange to share with the algonquin adventures members?,,,, food for thought while watching the skies.

12/21/2015 5:52 am  #2

Re: lunar halo tonight meaning

Hey. Good news to read you're a Yorkie owner. They are gems. My little Yorkie (Tinker) is approaching his second winter.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in the 'upturned aspen leaves' thingy. Here's some 'copy-paste' from the Farmers Almanac website at http://farmersalmanac.com/weather/2009/06/08/can-leaves-predict-a-storm/

“When leaves show their undersides, be very sure rain betides. In this case, our forebears were definitely onto something. The leaves of deciduous trees, like maples and poplars, do often to turn upward before heavy rain. The leaves are actually reacting to the sudden increase in humidity that usually precedes a storm. Leaves with soft stems can become limp in response to abrupt changes in humidity, allowing the wind to flip them over."

I know .. it's a useless 'thingy' this late in the year when the leaves are off the trees!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.