You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2019 10:02 am  #1

408-year-old tree discovered in Algonquin Park’s unprotected logging

todays front page of the toronto star is reporting that a 408 year tree has been discovered  in algonquin park`s unprotected logging zone near cayuga lake,, good read,, 
 i can not get the link to work?

1/12/2019 1:03 pm  #2

Re: 408-year-old tree discovered in Algonquin Park’s unprotected logging

1/13/2019 1:37 pm  #3

That’s an interesting article. A reminder that the Park’s got some pretty awesome things hidden away (and not so hidden I guess).

John’s comment referenced the % of the Park’s total area that’s available to logging. Out of curiosity, anyone know the % of dry land?  Is that what the article is referencing when it says 65% is open to logging?

1/13/2019 3:37 pm  #4

would that mean that ,65 % of the park has road access?,, if the article is correct,,

1/15/2019 3:45 pm  #5

If you ever look at google maps and look at the park (satellite) there are roads every where. Crazy how many roads there are. Way before google maps my buddy worked with the bear guy in the park. He told about all of the roads they would go on. Who knew..... 

I'm just gone Fishin!

1/15/2019 10:15 pm  #6

swedish pimple wrote:

would that mean that ,65 % of the park has road access?,, if the article is correct,,

Not at any given time really. 65% of the park is under a zoning designation within which the AFA can do commercial forest management, and within that roads are built as necessary for logging operations, and then decomissioned, eventually bridges are removed and the old roads are overgrown. And even those roads don't give "access" to anyone but the AFA and park staff, of course. But yeah, we've all crossed roads on portages, both current and partly overgrown.

4/27/2019 6:51 pm  #7

Jeff's older version (2.0?) of his original maps had most of the roads outlined, if im not mistaken.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.