You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2019 2:51 pm  #1

Rock Lake Road

Has anyone driven past it in the past few days (or better yet down it)? Any idea when it typically becomes passable?

Thanks!

3/18/2019 2:58 pm  #2

Re: Rock Lake Road

I don't believe it is plowed in the winter, so it usually opens up just before the campground opens which in turn is right around ice out so figure on late April.

3/18/2019 3:16 pm  #3

The times have certainly changed.  Back in the 80's almost all the roads and campgrounds became accessible once the snow melted and there didn't appear to be anyone actively patrolling the park.  Nowadays the park goes to a much greater effort to gate or blockade access to facilities that are not yet operational.  It's still fun to go to the park in April but not as much fun as it was in earlier times.

3/18/2019 5:32 pm  #4

Drove past it on Saturday. It was definitely inaccessible.

4/04/2019 10:02 am  #5

Any update on this? I'm hoping to use that road before the end of April.

Thanks!

4/04/2019 11:49 am  #6

I was in the Park last Friday and it looked like the road had been cleared.  Almost by a blower as the banks were cut sharp and not piled up like a plow would do.  One gate was open.  Given the snow the Park got last weekend, and with hauling operations done for the season it's probably not being maintained anymore.  Unless conditions become favourable it probably won't be open until May 3rd of opening weekend.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/04/2019 11:52 am  #7

I'm planning on heading down there for an ice-out trip, is the road paved? If not is it generally in good condition? Not driving an SUV or anything.

Thanks

4/04/2019 1:52 pm  #8

No it is not paved. Yes it is well maintained during the season. 

If it has been cleared recently, then snow build up won't be an issue between now and ice out. Not sure when they would start "summer" maintenance but it has always been in decent shape when we have gone in for ice out trips.

4/04/2019 3:59 pm  #9

Great news, thanks Rob!

4/08/2019 5:04 pm  #10

I suggest you call the park directly- they'll be starting the spring maintenance about now, and may have up to date info

4/08/2019 7:40 pm  #11

I camped at Mew this past weekend and Rock lake rd has a barrier up blocking access. Road is plowed and from Highway 60 it looks muddy but clear of snow.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.