You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2015 6:42 pm  #1

stashed canoes

just a reminder,, that stashing a canoe is unlawful in algonquin,, unless otherwise posted in the park regs.,,,i have noticed canoes stashed along many areas that i have tripped through this season. and not the m.n.r.  aluminium gruman floating tanks.
  if ya have a canoe hidden some place in the park  perhaps now is the time to fetch it,,, other wise it could be a costly mistake,,so i have been told.

9/19/2015 9:03 am  #2

Re: stashed canoes

Some of the stashed non-MNR canoes may be illegal, others maybe not... research being done by individuals in universities and by consultants who may have permission for that. In ancient times (here we go again, rolls eyes) I used my own canoe stashed in the woods to collect data on remote lakes. MNR knew about that and left my canoe undisturbed.

OTOH, the 1000s of km of interior roads may well be being used to stash canoes for easier access.

If they do turn out to be illegal, a great opportunity for an end-of-season canoe salvage sale... could make some $$$ to fund more Hwy 60 wolf howls.

The dark side of wolf howls, don't let your kids see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3G_beQccA

9/21/2015 12:58 pm  #3

no i.d. on any of the canoes that i saw hidden away off of the trails end.  all m.n.r. boats /canoes i have noticed over the decades are all marked with i.d.

9/21/2015 1:11 pm  #4

not all legally stashed boats belong to the MNR. anyone can stash a boat if they have written permission from the superintendant, such as cottagers, outfitters, people doing studies in the park, etc
I know someone who stashed a canoe legally on Rain lake to hike the 3rd loop of the Western uplands trail.

9/28/2015 9:00 am  #5

My wife and I found two canoes at the end of the portage into Pinetree on the weekend.  One was lying upside down over a large log grounded at the portage landing.   When we flipped it over we found that one seat was broken and the webbing for both seats had rotted out.   I'd have to assume that that canoe had been there for quite some time.  The other canoe was on shore but not flipped over.   It didn't appear to be full of water though so someone had to have used it recently.

10/05/2015 7:57 am  #6

Apprearently half way down the crow river is a fine place to stash a canoe.  It will be safe there for at least a year 

10/16/2015 7:17 pm  #7

Lest.  That one is gone now. Lol!

10/16/2015 7:42 pm  #8

Lol @ lesta, that gave me a good chuckle.  Thank you lol
Ken

Last edited by Foxriderz (10/16/2015 7:42 pm)

1/14/2016 4:35 pm  #9

Why would someone stash a canoe?  You've got to get to the site, so don't you pretty much need a canoe to get to a stashed canoe?  I feel like I should immediately know why somebody would do that, but the light bulb isn't going off....

1/17/2016 2:10 pm  #10

I think typically canoes would be stashed somewhere that you DON'T need a canoe to get to. Like one portage away from an access lake that allows motorboats, so you can motor to the portage, walk it, and access your canoe at the backcountry lake end. I've seen this on crown land, and an Ontario Parks canoe stashed in such a location in The Mass. On crown land I've also seen that done with motorboats, often without the outboard motor, since the motor is easier to carry over the portage from the access lake than the whole boat. I think fishing lodges tend to do that.

It could also be done in places where some sort of trail, logging road, or long portage leads to a lake from the road. In Kawartha Highalnds Provincial Park for example there are some pre-park ATV trails and roads leading from the highway outside the park to private leases/trapper cabins/fishing camps on lakes that are otherwise accessible only by canoe route; presumably it would be legal for the occupants (and park staff) to stash canoes at those landings, but probably not for anyone else.

Last edited by DanPM (1/17/2016 8:51 pm)

1/17/2016 3:45 pm  #11

Just a timely reminder to not break the regulation against leaving vehicles or boats unattended. "You may not leave your vehicle or boat unattended in a Provincial Park, except in areas designated for that purpose or by permission of the Park Superintendent."

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.