You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2017 1:17 pm  #1

Opening of trout season in Algonquin Park

Only 22 more sleeps until opening of trout season, as well as camping, hiking, and interior tripping IN THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/03/2017 3:20 pm  #2

Re: Opening of trout season in Algonquin Park

My countdown says 17 days? I can't wait!!! I have big plans for opener this year!  
I wonder if ice out is sooner than the 21st if they will issue permits early?

4/03/2017 4:45 pm  #3

In 2012, ice-out was on March 29 and I had a permit in hand on April 4. (Could have had it sooner - just needed the work week to finish)
BUT...
This was also on the heels of the John Winters days... and since he has not been the superintendent, the last 3 ice-outs weren't as smooth as they used to be... I'm sure we all remember 2013,14,15,16 ice-outs. At least 2013 was due to legit flooding and bridges/roads being washed out.. the subsequent years don't really seem to be justified. 

So even if ice out is early this year, if the last 3 years are any indication - park management/authorities will restrict access until they feel its safe. Sucks, but it seems to be the new name of the game I miss the days when people could use their own discretion instead of being babied by the nanny. 

Last edited by Peek (4/03/2017 4:45 pm)

4/04/2017 6:56 am  #4

As long as everything is a go for the 21st I'll be happy.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/04/2017 10:21 am)

4/04/2017 6:32 pm  #5

My main concern is the condition of the road into White Partridge on May 6th.  Blowdowns are not a problem as a chainsaw takes care of that.....it is the washouts, holes in road, etc. which means we have to fill them up if we can so horses don't break their legs.

4/05/2017 6:54 am  #6

I was under the impression trout season opened April 28th as it is the 4th Friday in April..  just realizing now it's like Bo says- April 21st!!  The Friday before the 4th Saturday.    This is very exciting news...  if only the ice would melt just a bit faster!

Last edited by PhillyPhilster (4/05/2017 6:55 am)

4/05/2017 10:38 am  #7

PhillyPhilster wrote:

I was under the impression trout season opened April 28th as it is the 4th Friday in April..  just realizing now it's like Bo says- April 21st!!  The Friday before the 4th Saturday.    This is very exciting news...  if only the ice would melt just a bit faster!

Just to be clear, the regulations state NO fishing from January 1st to the Friday before the 4th Saturday in April.
Which means the opening day is the 4th Saturday in April which is the 22nd.
If you're fishing Friday you'll be given a fine.

4/05/2017 11:21 am  #8

Trout season in Algonquin Park, Zone 15, always opens on the 4TH SATURDAY IN APRIL.

4/05/2017 12:28 pm  #9

thanks for the clarification Breed85 and BoKnows.

4/05/2017 7:49 pm  #10

Bo always Knows!

Never doubt the man.

Dave

4/06/2017 9:34 am  #11

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....Algonquin Park is getting or will be getting today or tomorrow over 1 ft. of snow.    ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

4/06/2017 9:46 am  #12

boknows wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....Algonquin Park is getting or will be getting today or tomorrow over 1 ft. of snow.    ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't worry about it.. it'll do more damage than anything I think ;-) POURING rain here right now in North Bay

4/08/2017 9:50 am  #13

Re snow in Algonquin Park the other day.  I just heard from friends who live in Whitney and they got 2 FEET OF SNOW AND THEIR POWER WENT OUT AT THEIR HOUSE.  A good thing about this snow now is that if they get rain, the snow will become wet and thus help break the ice beneath it.

Come on opening day IN THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!

Last edited by boknows (4/08/2017 9:51 am)

4/09/2017 1:13 pm  #14

Today is Sunday April 9th and my friends in Whitney are STILL without power.  They tell me 4:00 p.m. tomorrow they will get power back.  hmmm.....no SHOWERS for 3 days.....THEY ARE ALREADY INTERIOR CAMPING!! lol

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.