You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2017 6:18 pm  #1

Cauliflower

Has anyone been on this lake lately, I know it's easy to get to just wondered how the fishing has been. I know the easier to get to lakes get fished harder.

I'm new to the forum, I  used to spend a lot of time with my family in the park 25 years ago and have been bitten by the Algonquin bug for the first time in my adult life.

I have a small aluminum boat with a 9.9, was thinking of doing a solo trip in for 3-4 days to cut my teeth. Any input would be welcomed. I'm fully stocked with regular Algonquin lures egb, Williams, 5 of diamonds, panther martins etc.

If this goes well I may be turned away from getting a boat to do Great Lakes fishing close to home and return to doing what I did with my folks as a kid. There has been a huge improvement in gear, it's unbelievable!

At any rate I appreciate any feedback.

4/04/2017 7:24 am  #2

Re: Cauliflower

Hey Dman. Welcome!

I drove to Cauliflower Lake (Access A37 on Jeff's Map) and base camped for a few days. It was nice - but also very busy with fishermen and motorboats (I went in May 2014). The drive in was a little sketchy to say the least, but a vehicle with good clearance will do fine. Being able to drive right to the lake allowed some great luxuries that's for sure. 

I didn't fish the lake myself, but a few groups in boats had decent success. The max. horsepower allowed on Cauliflower is 10, so you'll be just fine with a 9.9 - and its a small enough lake that a 9.9 can get you all around pretty quick!

I really liked the campsite on the east shore point - it had a picnic table.

I'm sure Algonquin will be glad to see you're back after a 25 year hiatus. I couldn't imagine being away from the park for that long!

4/04/2017 8:57 am  #3

Re: Cauliflower

I went to the couples resort in Whitney with my wife last spring. Picked up the canoe routes map at the museum, and a bunch of other things. She had a spa day booked, I took a drive and found cauliflower lake. I just figured it would be a good place for me to start. I really am an avid fisherman, but even if I get away and burn wood for a couple days it's good enough. I like the idea of going into the interior but at least I can do this with the equipment I already own. It's funny I started a family at a young age and am just starting to get the time to do these things.  My entire living room is group of seven prints, never forgot but just getting back. When we where there it was early May and I don't know there is something about that time of the year up there. I can't wait.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.