You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2017 5:03 pm  #137

Re: So when does the ice-out prediction conversation start???

"Some Algonquin Park facilities, including the backcountry, are currently under a delayed opening[opening on April 28, 2017 (subject to change)]. Watch this webpage for updates in the hours ahead."

I DO NOT like the way that is worded.

But then again theres NO WAY they can delay the backcountry even further! I'm betting APP will be 75%++ ice free by tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/24/2017 5:09 pm)

4/24/2017 8:40 pm  #138

Uppa wrote:

PhillyPhilster wrote:

Great!!  I have big plans to head down that road Friday morning.

Just saw this washout pic of the Brent road posted on the Algonquin Park site: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php
Image above: Washout on the Brent Road in Algonquin Park on April 24, 2017. (click to enlarge)

That doesn't look too bad. I will bring my shovel!

4/25/2017 6:41 am  #139

I'm not sure I'd go with "no way" after last year, we were camped at Rock Campground, paddling a wide open Pen on a Saturday, but I recall permits weren't issued until the following Tue/Wed?  Hopefully its more common sense this year, and the usable access points are open for this weekend (roads permitting) Grand area, Kiosk/Manitou/North Tea etc.

Here's hoping anyone with plans gets the green light for the weekend!!!

4/25/2017 7:06 am  #140

PhillyPhilster wrote:

Uppa wrote:

PhillyPhilster wrote:

Great!!  I have big plans to head down that road Friday morning.

Just saw this washout pic of the Brent road posted on the Algonquin Park site: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php
Image above: Washout on the Brent Road in Algonquin Park on April 24, 2017. (click to enlarge)

That doesn't look too bad. I will bring my shovel!

That's what I did on Rain Lake road yesterday. Lol

Last edited by ATVenture (4/25/2017 7:06 am)

4/25/2017 2:03 pm  #141

100% ICE FREE KIOSK LAKE. April 25/2017

4/25/2017 3:34 pm  #142

The Friends of Algonquin Park just reported today as "ice out" day! HAPPY CAMPING EVERYONE!!

-------------Official 2017 Ice Out Date Recorded for Algonquin Park — High winds and heavy rain caused Lake Opeongo, Algonquin Park's largest lake, to shed its ice cover today (April 25, 2017), just slightly earlier than the average ice out date of April 28 (1964 to 2016). Technically, the official ice out date for Algonquin Park is recorded when a boat can safely navigate from the Lake Opeongo Access Point to the Happy Isle Portage in the North Arm of Lake Opeongo. Ice out has ranged from as early as March 29 (2012) to as late as May 15 (1972). For more details see http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Last edited by Uppa (4/25/2017 3:57 pm)

4/25/2017 4:01 pm  #143

Uppa wrote:

The Friends of Algonquin Park just reported today as "ice out" day! HAPPY CAMPING EVERYONE!!

-------------Official 2017 Ice Out Date Recorded for Algonquin Park — High winds and heavy rain caused Lake Opeongo, Algonquin Park's largest lake, to shed its ice cover today (April 25, 2017), just slightly earlier than the average ice out date of April 28 (1964 to 2016). Technically, the official ice out date for Algonquin Park is recorded when a boat can safely navigate from the Lake Opeongo Access Point to the Happy Isle Portage in the North Arm of Lake Opeongo. Ice out has ranged from as early as March 29 (2012) to as late as May 15 (1972). For more details see http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

WooHoo! I just told my girlfriend this morning that APP will be ice free today and she disagreed. :-P I wonder when they will start issuing permits??

4/25/2017 4:07 pm  #144

The Highland trail has now been reopened as water levels on the Madawaska River have fallen.  We'll have to wait to see if the disappearance of ice on Opeongo will be enough evidence for the park to start issuing interior canoeing permits.  http://algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2017/2017-04-13_delayed_spring_opening.php 

4/26/2017 7:13 am  #145

I think I am going to try and get through the Brent Road today. I would assume it would be all fixed up considering AO on Cedar has to get ready for Friday morning? I'm sure Jake wants to get home too!

4/26/2017 7:58 am  #146

ATVenture wrote:

I think I am going to try and get through the Brent Road today. I would assume it would be all fixed up considering AO on Cedar has to get ready for Friday morning? I'm sure Jake wants to get home too!

That is a great idea!

4/26/2017 8:00 am  #147

PhillyPhilster wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

That is a great idea!

I figured you'd think so. :-P

4/26/2017 8:02 am  #148

All my worry and obsessing over the ice-out, and it turned out to be the exact date I picked a month ago in the AO ice-out contest. Next year I'm just gonna pick a date and then sit back, confident I can't possibly be wrong. 

I didn't win anything since 29 other people also picked the right date, but then what would I have done with $25 off a rental anyway?

4/26/2017 9:52 am  #149

I'm on the Brent road now.. could only make it about half way through the Esker reserve. They brought machinery out there today (can tell by the tracks). When I stopped and got out to check the snow situation I could hear them digging in the distance presumably fixing the washout (s). Some spots where the snow is over a few inches deep​ it looks like they dropped a blade to break it up, so it will be mostly melted by tomorrow me thinks.

4/26/2017 10:17 am  #150

ATVenture wrote:

I'm on the Brent road now.. could only make it about half way through the Esker reserve. They brought machinery out there today (can tell by the tracks). When I stopped and got out to check the snow situation I could hear them digging in the distance presumably fixing the washout (s). Some spots where the snow is over a few inches deep​ it looks like they dropped a blade to break it up, so it will be mostly melted by tomorrow me thinks.

Good news for sure! 

4/26/2017 10:42 am  #151

ATVenture you rock!....I wish I was close enough to go and check things out.  I really apppreciate the reports and pictures you've been posting....now, how about that road into Magnetawan?

4/26/2017 10:55 am  #152

Treater wrote:

ATVenture you rock!....I wish I was close enough to go and check things out.  I really apppreciate the reports and pictures you've been posting....now, how about that road into Magnetawan?

I spoke with the guy from Canoe Algonquin in Kearney yesterday and asked about the Magnetawan access road, he informed me that they have not been down that road yet, but was going to attempt it today or tomorrow. I will post any update I receive on this.

4/26/2017 3:14 pm  #153

"Algonquin Park Delayed Spring Openings 2017April 26, 2017 Update
Beginning April 28, 2017, camping permits will be issued for all backcountry campsites. For current access road conditions and restrictions, please Algonquin Park Advisories.Spring conditions vary throughout Algonquin Park. Thorough trip planning and appropriate safety precautions should be taken to ensure a safe experience. Park users should expect to encounter some or all of the following hazards when traveling in Algonquin Park:

• Ice remaining on water bodies in sheltered areas;
  • Snow, ice and muddy conditions on portages, trails and campsites;
  • Extremely cold water temperatures;
  • High water levels and fast currents; and/or
  • Limited or varied accessibility on many access roads due to snow conditions or other spring hazards."

None of the roads on the west side are listed on the advisory page so everything should be good to go except MAYBE Brent/Achray?

Last edited by ATVenture (4/26/2017 3:15 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.