You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2017 7:56 am  #103

Re: So when does the ice-out prediction conversation start???

I am looking at it right now and see lots of open water.  I think the grey skies reflecting on the water may have made it look like ice.

4/19/2017 11:33 am  #104

That's better!

Last edited by ATVenture (4/19/2017 11:33 am)

4/20/2017 7:14 am  #105

This morning I watched someone portaging a canoe down Highway 63 in North Bay (runs along side Trout Lake)...

Kioshkokwi Lake April 19,2017

Don't be surprised when you see open water on the next Modis image. :-)

Last edited by ATVenture (4/20/2017 8:05 am)

4/20/2017 9:01 am  #106

ATVenture wrote:

Don't be surprised when you see open water on the next Modis image. :-)

Considering how long it might be until we get another clear Modis image, that's a fairly safe bet... ;)

4/20/2017 4:26 pm  #107

Kawawaymog Lake April 20,2017

4/20/2017 4:33 pm  #108

Thanks ATVenture, I plan on setting off from K-Mog on May 5th for a few days! Appreciate the first hand update!

4/20/2017 6:08 pm  #109

Kawawaymog is super shallow, so no surprise it's ice-free. But still, seeing any shot of a completely open Algonquin(ish) lake is still great!

4/21/2017 6:22 am  #110

TROUT LAKE (probably the deepest lake around here) in North Bay opened up last night! All the ice blew into a small bay by my house but other than that the lake is clear it looks like.
HAPPY FISHING THIS WEEKEND EVERYONE! Keep those lines tight! ;-) Hopefully the next pics I post will be of Brook Trout. ;-)

Last edited by ATVenture (4/21/2017 6:41 am)

4/21/2017 7:02 am  #111

I was in the Park on Wednesday.  Most lakes are still iced in, even the small ones such as Mew, Found, Peck.  Some like Ring-neck Pond, Eos and Eucalia are about half to almost open. 
Park (Long) Lake at the boundary was open, you could paddle from end to end but there was ice all along the south shore.  Smoke, Canoe and Opeongo all still had ice with no openings.  The only open water on Opeongo was about 100m south of the store.  Tea Lake was the only lake that had significant open water.  The centre of the lake was still frozen but open in the west up to where the lake widens and in the east open to the eastern most island.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/21/2017 7:05 am  #112

Tripper wrote:

I was in the Park on Wednesday.  Most lakes are still iced in, even the small ones such as Mew, Found, Peck.  Some like Ring-neck Pond, Eos and Eucalia are about half to almost open. 
Park (Long) Lake at the boundary was open, you could paddle from end to end but there was ice all along the south shore.  Smoke, Canoe and Opeongo all still had ice with no openings.  The only open water on Opeongo was about 100m south of the store.  Tea Lake was the only lake that had significant open water.  The centre of the lake was still frozen but open in the west up to where the lake widens and in the east open to the eastern most island.

There will be trout fishing opportunities this weekend for sure no doubt.. you just have to be creative and MOST IMPORTANTLY be safe! There will be many desperate people (like myself) canoeing/fishing in whatever open water they find this weekend.

4/21/2017 8:21 am  #113

Geez I really hope the rain the last few days and the few days next week is enough to get the ice out by next weekend...

Temps arn't crazy high...hopefully alot of wind and rain will do the job...

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

4/21/2017 9:47 am  #114

Coureur des Biere wrote:

Geez I really hope the rain the last few days and the few days next week is enough to get the ice out by next weekend...

Temps arn't crazy high...hopefully alot of wind and rain will do the job...

I've stopped worrying about whether or not the ice will be out in time for my trip (May 4th) and started worrying about just how mucky, if not outright flooded, the portages are going to be. It's been raining so damn much. We need sunshine, and lots of it. 

4/21/2017 10:03 am  #115

the ice still on the lakes may not be the only  problem, good point mentioned about mud. "uppa"
how many portages have been checked/cleared, from winter storm damage. how many road access points are in drive in  conditions. perhaps a second week of across the board park closer will be needed to clean things up. conditions are still subject to change. i would not be surprised,,,,,, just say`n, because i am all packed and ready to go.
   i even picked some worms

4/21/2017 11:19 am  #116

Kioshkokwi Lake - April 21st, 2017 Ice is probably at least 30%(?) out now? Probably more. Will be open by Sunday evening for sure. The ice starts way out where you can see the faint white line. Lots of loons out on the lake this morning! Haven't heard their call in a long time! :-)

Last edited by ATVenture (4/21/2017 11:22 am)

4/21/2017 11:41 am  #117

Looking East from campground

Looking at the campground beach

At the access point beside the permit office.

A little hike down the railbed Looking South-West

Last edited by ATVenture (4/21/2017 11:45 am)

4/21/2017 1:45 pm  #118

Algonquin Outfitters posted a whole bunch of new pictures today. The water level on Opeongo is crazy high. 

On the bright side, the ice is definitely looking super rotten!

4/22/2017 12:44 pm  #119

Darn wispy clouds in the latest sat image (16:07 GMT) are blocking AP but Lake Nippising is completely ice free...maybe the next one in an hour will give us a little window through!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.