You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2017 6:21 am  #86

Re: So when does the ice-out prediction conversation start???

Uppa wrote:

If I read only ATVenture's posts in this thread then I'm convinced ice-out is coming soon. If I read everybody else's posts, ice-out will happen in June. 

What I'm saying is from now on I'm only reading ATVenture's posts. 

Priceless and perfect, Uppa!

On the flip side, I couldn't help but laugh looking at the most recent Modis images that show EVERYTHING around Algonquin looking pretty much perfectly snow and ice free, and then this big polar ice blob occupying the space where the Park is supposed to be. Just saying, are we sure some massive alien starship hasn't descended over the Park and disguised itself under a blanket of ice and snow??? Like you know, maybe it left Kiosk alone for whatever reason . . . Or maybe ATVenture is actually working with the aliens to fool us all!!!

4/14/2017 8:19 am  #87

Just a bit more info/pics from my trip yesterday..
The main thing I noticed was butterflies.. lots and lots of butterflies. In the few hours I was there I seen at least a hundred. Also I seen a few flies buzzing around, as well as lots of spiders on the ground. I'm considering doing a few day trip in Kawartha next week to get my paddling muscles back in shape for some serious trout fishing in A.P.P. in May.

Looking towards Lauder Lake. Taken from the second campsite on the East side of One Mile Bridge.q

The water is freezing cold, but that doesn't stop these two!

Looking towards One Mile Bridge. Taken from the first campsite on the Easy Side of it.

Taken from One Mile Bridge, looking back towards Kiosk Access. This open stretch of water is well over a KM long.

Looking back towards Lauder Lake, taken from the rail bed.

This Otter was on the ice out in the middle of the lake. He would walk around for a bit and then jump through small holes in the ice (I guess it was fishing). That shows how much the ice is deteriorating out there if he can find multiple ways through. 

Taken from the Closest canoe in site down the North East Shore.

The campground near the Kiosk Cabin.

Looking towards the boat launch/beach.

When you compare this:

To this:

It's pretty obvious the ice will be out earlier this year than last.
I'm actually beginning to think that their April 28th opening will work out perfect. 

Last edited by ATVenture (4/14/2017 8:37 am)

4/14/2017 3:41 pm  #88

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.17104.1656.CIS_Great_Lakes.143.250m.jpg
Check out the progress today!

I don't know about everyone else but I'm taking the hint and washing/waxing my canoe out in the sun today!

Last edited by ATVenture (4/14/2017 4:20 pm)

4/16/2017 3:57 pm  #89

Took this from inside the vehicle with my I phone on the way out of the park this morning. Its raining pretty hard, or at least it was at 10am today! Canoe Lake.

4/16/2017 4:07 pm  #90

We went into Whitney yesterday, Galeairy is pretty open, you could see some ice on the far side of the lake.

4/16/2017 4:16 pm  #91

ATVenture wrote:

I'm actually beginning to think that their April 28th opening will work out perfect. 

I would think that date is reasonable, I plan on going in the first weekend of May but I haven't booked anything yet, the last few years have been a bust! I don't want to jynx it, so I will wait!

4/16/2017 6:45 pm  #92

Abe Froman wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

I would think that date is reasonable, I plan on going in the first weekend of May but I haven't booked anything yet, the last few years have been a bust! I don't want to jynx it, so I will wait!

Thx for the pics! I'll be going to Kiosk tomorrow so I'll post some updates then. I don't think I'm going to bring the boat but I am for sure going canoeing on Tuesday.. not sure where though. probably Mattawa River system.

4/17/2017 7:53 am  #93

The open water is moving into Fork Lake now.. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/webcam/index.php

Looking back on last years ice out thread we are about 5 days ahead.. I noticed the open water on the webcam yesterday and last year it was noticed on the 21st. http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=412&p=8
And last year on the 21st AO reported 18 inches of ice on Source Lake.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/17/2017 7:59 am)

4/17/2017 10:44 am  #94

It sure would be nice to get some clear skies for an updated satellite shot. Looks like that should happen today or tomorrow, fortunately. This week's forecast isn't particular exciting temperature-wise, but with tonight being the only below freezing mark, here's hoping the spring melt keeps picking up momentum. 

4/17/2017 2:17 pm  #95

Update from Kiosk today :

Not a very good day today for melting ice.. the sun never did poke through while I was there and it was 0 degrees. Tomorrow looks pretty hopeful though!

4/17/2017 7:15 pm  #96

Just got back from a night at Mew.  My parents drove up yesterday and said the lakes all the way up 35 were mottled white looking (it was too foggy by the time we went through to see the lakes at all)  Today, almost all of the lakes along 35 were pretty well open, just with ice that had blown into little bays.  The lakes along highway 60 were that mottled white ice today...I guess it can go fast when the conditions are right.

Two Rivers has a big open spot where the river flows out.  The river is very high, we tried to hike to the bridge near where Track and Tower meets up with the Highland Backpacking trail, and we couldn't get close to the bridge at all.  

4/18/2017 8:25 am  #97

Lots of open water on Fork lake now...
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/webcam/index.php

4/18/2017 1:39 pm  #98

A nice clear satellite image was just posted for today. Definitely some progress from the last clear shot on the 14th!

4/18/2017 2:10 pm  #99

I was in South River today.. Forrest Lake is 100% open (the lake beside the Swift factory).. K-Mog is about 40% open.. probably ice free tomorrow? By the weekend for sure.... Callander Bay on Nipissing is wide open now too.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/18/2017 2:10 pm)

4/18/2017 2:33 pm  #100

K-Mog Lake

Forrest Lake, South River

Lake Nipissing

4/18/2017 3:13 pm  #101

Thanks for the regular updates and photos ATVenture. I'm dying to go camping but in the meantime every update is appreciated!

4/19/2017 7:48 am  #102

So i think they are playing old footage back on the Algonquin Webcam today? Yesterday it looked like half of Fork Lake was open water, now today its frozen back up even though it was 6 degrees overnight?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.