You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2017 9:06 am  #69

Re: So when does the ice-out prediction conversation start???

Does anyone have a record as to when they started issuing Backcountry Permits in relation to Opeongo ice out Dates?

4/13/2017 9:14 am  #70

There is still plenty of snow in the marsh areas that are visible from the Visitor Center Web Cam.  If land areas that receive good sun exposure are still not free of snow, I'd have to believe that there is still snow on the lakes.   The large snowfall that the south end of the park received a week ago is really slowing things down.

4/13/2017 9:37 am  #71

If I read only ATVenture's posts in this thread then I'm convinced ice-out is coming soon. If I read everybody else's posts, ice-out will happen in June. 

What I'm saying is from now on I'm only reading ATVenture's posts. 

4/13/2017 9:47 am  #72

Uppa wrote:

If I read only ATVenture's posts in this thread then I'm convinced ice-out is coming soon. If I read everybody else's posts, ice-out will happen in June. 

What I'm saying is from now on I'm only reading ATVenture's posts. 

Then your probably best off to book a site at the Kiosk Campground and do day trips from there on the open water (they probably won't issue interior permits until at least a week after ice out up here).

Lol all joking aside, I'm going to head into the Kiosk Access in a couple of hours.. going to bring the dogs, and have supper on a fire at a campsite. I'll make sure to take lots of pics. If my puppy wasn't scared shitless of crossing the old rail bridges I'd probably go into Mink.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/13/2017 9:48 am)

4/13/2017 10:01 am  #73

Ice-out conditions updated today: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php 

Lakes in Algonquin Park remain ice covered with ice softening around shore as a result of increased water levels from recent rainfall and melting snow. Water flow is eroding ice at inflow and outflow locations, which will allow ice to move within the lake in the days ahead or during the next high wind event.Snow depth in Algonquin Park varies greatly depending upon location. On south facing slopes that receive the strongest spring sunshine, snow has all but disappeared with bare or nearly bare ground conditions. Shaded north facing slopes have snow depths that currently exceed knee-deep (more than 30 centimetres or 12”) in some locations.

Last edited by Uppa (4/13/2017 10:02 am)

4/13/2017 10:36 am  #74

Uppa wrote:

Ice-out conditions updated today: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php 

Lakes in Algonquin Park remain ice covered with ice softening around shore as a result of increased water levels from recent rainfall and melting snow. Water flow is eroding ice at inflow and outflow locations, which will allow ice to move within the lake in the days ahead or during the next high wind event.Snow depth in Algonquin Park varies greatly depending upon location. On south facing slopes that receive the strongest spring sunshine, snow has all but disappeared with bare or nearly bare ground conditions. Shaded north facing slopes have snow depths that currently exceed knee-deep (more than 30 centimetres or 12”) in some locations.

Based on their photos from today I wouldn't worry about your trip in May, Uppa. I'd put a cold beer on it. ;-)

4/13/2017 11:09 am  #75

breed85 wrote:

Does anyone have a record as to when they started issuing Backcountry Permits in relation to Opeongo ice out Dates?

It's generally pretty close. The park does a flyover too to get a better idea of how ice free the whole park is. The bigger delay is that they might do a flyover once a week on a Thursday to see if they are comfortable opening up on the Friday. That means ice could be gone on an Monday or Tuesday but you're still waiting a few more days for interior permits to start being issued. 

4/13/2017 11:39 am  #76

RobW wrote:

breed85 wrote:

It's generally pretty close. The park does a flyover too to get a better idea of how ice free the whole park is. The bigger delay is that they might do a flyover once a week on a Thursday to see if they are comfortable opening up on the Friday. That means ice could be gone on an Monday or Tuesday but you're still waiting a few more days for interior permits to start being issued. 

Thanks Rob.
We're booked to start our trip on the 5th of May (Friday) *fingers crossed*.

4/13/2017 1:16 pm  #77

Uppa, I hope these tweets from AO make you feel a little bit better as they did for me. 

https://twitter.com/algonquinoutfit/status/852507099212984321

https://twitter.com/algonquinoutfit/status/852510048383373312

4/13/2017 2:07 pm  #78

Opening weekend is officially delayed for now . . . .

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2017/2017-04-13_delayed_spring_opening.php

4/13/2017 2:23 pm  #79

Well Craiger, we knew this was coming as it seems to be the norm for them over the past 4 years...

The new satellite image shows a lot of progress around the park (especially Lake Nippising for this time of year) and even looks like winter is starting to recede from the Park...hopefully LOTS will happen over the next 5-6 days to give us some hope for that April 28th weekend.

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

4/13/2017 2:30 pm  #80

Craiger05 wrote:

Opening weekend is officially delayed for now . . . .

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2017/2017-04-13_delayed_spring_opening.php

Opening *backcountry camping* weekend is delayed. Trout season still opens on the 22nd. 

4/13/2017 2:38 pm  #81

Kudos to the park for making this announcement well in advance.  Imagine the wrath that would be unleashed if this waited until the eleventh hour?  

Decision-making with this many areas of influence, interests and dynamic factors is no easy matter.

4/13/2017 2:45 pm  #82

Is this Groundhog day AGAIN????  I really think THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD will open before April 28th, but generally speaking April 28th is not bad for trout fishing.

Last edited by boknows (4/13/2017 2:47 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/13/2017 2:55 pm  #83

Trillium16 wrote:

Whether it's the beginning or middle of May makes no difference to me. It sure as hell isn't happening in April, which is what I'd been hoping for a change. The forecast is only barely making it into the double digits this coming week. It's going to take a sustained period of temps like that to weaken the ice enough that the wind can do the rest, and I don't see that anywhere in the forecast. And don't forget that the interior will only be opened up when it is deemed "safe" (whatever that means), or when the access roads are considered to be in decent shape. As others have lamented in previous years, gone are the days when we could be held responsible for our own safety and be in control of our own travel decisions. I'm not at all optimistic at this point that any of the interior will be open by the first weekend in May.

As for bugs, meh, they're part of life in the Park. At least I can have a four-day trip without having to take more than one day off work!

That is why retirement is GREAT.....tripping any time in THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!  LOL

4/13/2017 2:57 pm  #84

ATVenture wrote:

Campsite just East of One Mile Bridge on the North Shore. This is the second of the two sites. The firepit on the closest site was full of hot coals, so someone had a fire there earlier today.  Ice will be off all AP lakes by opening weekend.  Why?  Because Boknows!

Watching the Geese after a cold swim..

They are predicting a low of 11 degrees tonight with a high of 15 tomorrow and tons of rain. I suspect Kiosk will be 100% ice free by the 20th for sure.

4/13/2017 5:13 pm  #85

Little update from today; When I got there it didn't look like much has happened this week, but at this point it was only around 6 degrees. By the time I left at 5:15 the ice was starting to look pretty dark, and lots of small floating chunks of ice near shore melted completely in the few hours I was there.. Oh and my car said it was now 18 degrees. By the end of tomorrow Trout Lake and Pimisi will be the only lakes with ice remaining the whole way between North Bay and Kiosk. I honestly wouldn't doubt it if the warm rain+high lows over the weekend get rid of the rest of the ice around here.
BTW: Looking at the Modis images from today, Kawartha Highlands looks to be ice free, so if anyone is really itching to go on a trip, that could be a good option for next week.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/13/2017 5:45 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.