You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2017 2:27 pm  #18

Re: Where in Algonquin? No. 90

Not Joe/Little Joe.

More east.

2/01/2017 7:36 pm  #19

Annie to Opeongo?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/02/2017 9:13 am  #20

Nope. Still east.

2/02/2017 9:30 am  #21

Between the islands on rock lake?

2/02/2017 12:00 pm  #22

Nope, further east.

2/02/2017 12:06 pm  #23

Heading from Grand into Stratton?  If it's further east of this guess, we are REALLY narrowing it down!

And, for the record, I don't think this is actually correct due to the shoreline in the channel between Grand and Stratton being less steep and less rocky...it's more gently sloped and weedy with shallows if memory serves me correctly.  However, there appears to be a substantial flow through there in your photo based upon the appearance of the water's surface so I figured it was worth a "go"!

I also love that you don't give too many and easy hints...it builds the anticipation further with each wrong guess!

2/02/2017 1:55 pm  #24

Okay not THAT far east...

Edit: a lot of people will smack their forehead in a 'D'oh' moment when the location is revealed.

PA the water's surface is a bigger hint than any I've given so far - and you picked up on it.

Last edited by Peek (2/02/2017 1:57 pm)

2/02/2017 2:40 pm  #25

Okay so just going on hints so far..

East of Erables and West of Grand.
I'm just going to go ahead and assume it is north of 60 for you Peek.
2 lakes joined by the narrows pictured.
And a fairly commonly travelled area if  a lot people are going to kick themselves for not getting it.

Not really that many places that fit.. how about Cauchon to Little Cauchon. 

Last edited by ShawnD (2/02/2017 2:41 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/02/2017 3:28 pm  #26

Shawn you know me too well - yes, it's above highway 60.

Not the Cauchon's tho...

2/02/2017 8:39 pm  #27

Kitty Lake to Farm Lake.

2/03/2017 7:08 am  #28

I'm thinking it's got to be somewhere upstream of the Shall Lake access area but I've never been there to fashion a legitimate guess.  That "East of Annie Bay" clue really narrows it down quite a bit (pun intended). There should be pretty good flow through there with the Opeongo River.  Also wondering if the water's surface disturbance might be related to a dam just upstream of the photo?  Not asking for clues, just thinking out loud.

I think I will have to visit that access point this summer and catch a couple Northern Pike as well.

2/03/2017 7:41 am  #29

My bet is that yellowcanoe got it !!

2/03/2017 8:45 am  #30

Andy I hope you didn't throw-down too much on that bet - cause it ain't Kitty to Farm.

PA it's not near Shall Lake, but you are the closest to figuring it out based on your surface disturbance theory.... why oh why would the water move like this?

2/03/2017 9:31 am  #31

Complete guess as I've never even been there...Radiant to Snipe?

Hopefully my guess can help narrow it down for someone else...

2/03/2017 9:33 am  #32

Nope. But you are the closest so far.

2/03/2017 12:30 pm  #33

No bubbles, so it's likely not below a waterfall or substantial rapids but it is a substantial flow.  Looks like low water conditions with the color pattern on exposed rocks.  

The only reasonable explanation for the water surface disturbance of this nature that I've seen before is a massive school of ginormous Speckled Trout.  Oddly enough, when I've witnessed this phenomenon in the past, the trout were never biting.

2/03/2017 1:14 pm  #34

Coming into Francis from the Pet.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.