You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2017 2:27 pm  #1

Trip Plans. Where's your next one for the 2017 Season??

Hey there all,

Since the winter has become rather Snow filled and dark.  I tend to shift to dreams of and now actual plans for this coming season's camping fun.

So far, my group and I have settled on a route which takes me through my Grandfather and Great Grandfather's Ranger route in the North-West of the park. 
Leaving from Brent, we'll head on up to Little Cauchon/Cauchon where my family cottage still stands and see some of the sites. Then, onto Club, Mouse, Erables and all the way to Nadine for the focal point of the trip.  Finally, out via the Nipissing.
If you have any tips for that route, sight seeing etc.  or let's hear your trip plans!

JB 

1/10/2017 3:20 pm  #2

Re: Trip Plans. Where's your next one for the 2017 Season??

Planning a fishing-centric trip this spring, into the Highview Cabin area of the Nipissing.  Lots of places to explore around there, so we'll see how many we can find our way into!  Here's hoping for high-water and late black-flies!

1/10/2017 3:51 pm  #3

@ JB: I've been on all of those lakes, albeit on different trips - you'll no doubt have a great time. When you're climbing Heart Attack Hill, keep an eye out for my willpower. It's probably still curled up in the fetal position next to the trail, waiting for the pain to stop. ​It sounds like you've got some family history in the park - have you ever posted about it? 

I'm planning a 9-day early-Spring solo, and the route I've tentatively decided on will have me camping on 8 different lakes, none of which I've spent a night on before (and many of which I've never even been to). I've got a copy of Jeff's wall map with a pin in every lake I've ever camped on - 8 new pins from one trip will be a new record. In/Out through Opeongo with nights on Annie Bay, Round Island, Little Dickson, White Partridge, Francis, Radiant, Philip, and Proulx. I've paddled through Proulx and Opeongo many times but never camped on either, I've always been enroute somewhere less accessible. In early Spring it should be pretty peaceful.

1/10/2017 4:45 pm  #4

I don't quite know where yet but I have an inkling of the who part. Many friends and family have expressed interest in trying out backcountry paddling so we're going to try to do several shorter, easier trips with newbies this year (not that this is much different from what we usually do; we're all about the relaxing canoe trip). 

If anyone has any routes that are good for first timers, let me know! I always like to make newbies do 1-3 portages that aren't too long or strenuous and good campsites that can accommodate a larger group are ideal. I also like paddle in, stay two nights on the same site, paddle out trips with newcomers. I think it's a nice introduction and gives you a day to do fun things around the campsite and surrounding area. 

We also have a trip to the Teslin River in the Yukon that's forming up. I know it's not algonquin but if anyone has any experience up there, PM me. 

1/10/2017 5:07 pm  #5

elliot lake region again, chapleau again, quetico, and maybe algonquin park? great to be retired !!!!! 

Last edited by swedish pimple (1/10/2017 5:16 pm)

1/10/2017 9:18 pm  #6

Beginning to plan a meanest link attempt for July.

1/11/2017 12:03 am  #7

CanoeClaire wrote:

I don't quite know where yet but I have an inkling of the who part. Many friends and family have expressed interest in trying out backcountry paddling so we're going to try to do several shorter, easier trips with newbies this year (not that this is much different from what we usually do; we're all about the relaxing canoe trip). 

If anyone has any routes that are good for first timers, let me know! I always like to make newbies do 1-3 portages that aren't too long or strenuous and good campsites that can accommodate a larger group are ideal. I also like paddle in, stay two nights on the same site, paddle out trips with newcomers. I think it's a nice introduction and gives you a day to do fun things around the campsite and surrounding area. 

We also have a trip to the Teslin River in the Yukon that's forming up. I know it's not algonquin but if anyone has any experience up there, PM me. 

You should look into Source --> Linda

- you get all the benefits of it being on Hwy 60 (close to Toronto, if you're coming from there.. plenty choices for outfitters, etc.)

- if you do single carries, it's about 3k split into 4 portages, all of which are pretty flat/easy. Travel time is only 3hrs to Linda lake

- avoids large lakes, so mid-day wind isn't as big of an issue (great for first timers)

- 2 out of 4 campsites on the lake are great (the island is a personal favourite), and they only reserve 3... so 2/3 chance of getting something good

- perfect route for a 'there and back' 2 nighter

- exposure both east and west, with lots of flat rocks. 10/10 for sunrise, sunset, stargazing, and swimming

edit: and one more, it's great for privacy! The island and eastern site are far enough away from the others on the lake, and the firepit at the island actually faces northwest, so you're not bothered by any passing traffic.

Here's a trip report of mine from last year: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=45348

And for myself, I'm planning 2 trips over the September/October long weekends, and hoping to do a 7-10 day solo trip, which would be my longest solo (by far) sometime late August or mid September. Still haven't figured out the exact route, but I've got a pretty good idea that it would look something like this...

Canoe --> Otterslide --> Big Trout --> Burntroot --> Catfish --> Hogan --> Big Trout --> Little Otterslide --> Canoe

Still deciding if I want to take the loop through Catfish/Hogan, or just stay around the Burntroot/Big Trout area. Also not sure if I should end the trip through Red Rock/Happy Isle and paddle Opeongo, or go back through the Otterslides to Canoe. Lots of variables, but I'm pretty certain it will be in that area of the park at least.

Last edited by trippythings (1/11/2017 12:16 am)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/11/2017 9:50 am  #8

Thanks for the tip TrippyThings. I may have discarded Linda due to the length and number of portages but if they are all relatively flat, that would be very do-able. 

We took family last year on a trip to Ragged and got wind-stayed for a while on Smoke. It was the biggest waves I've ever paddled through and it frightened our beginner family (and thrilled others) so there is great appeal in small lakes.

1/11/2017 7:40 pm  #9

CanoeClaire wrote:

Thanks for the tip TrippyThings. I may have discarded Linda due to the length and number of portages but if they are all relatively flat, that would be very do-able. 

We took family last year on a trip to Ragged and got wind-stayed for a while on Smoke. It was the biggest waves I've ever paddled through and it frightened our beginner family (and thrilled others) so there is great appeal in small lakes.

Definitely easy and flat. Going from Linda to Burnt Island is where you start to hit the hills, but doing a there-and-back from Source to Linda would be easy.

Last edited by trippythings (1/11/2017 7:40 pm)

algonquinbeyond.com

1/23/2017 12:52 pm  #10

These are some great trips being mapped out by all!

Uppa - I'll definitely be sure to mail you your dignity back, assuming mine doesn't get stuck alongside it at Heart Attack Hill I've posted a small amount of my family history.  More so in relation to a picture that was posted showing some of my family, and some people I didn't recognize. I believe this was on the old AA site though, I can't seem to locate it but I didn't post too much on it.

My Great Grandfather Andrew Grant and Grandfather Norman Grant were both Park Rangers and patrolled the Daventry area (Lake Cauchon and surrounding areas between Kiosk and Cedar).   My Great Grandfather came back from WW1 and was given a park job and a lease on the land where he built his home which was for a time.  This was just east between the now Large Bush Federal (name might be incorrect) Cottage(s) and My Grandfathers (now my uncles) Cottage which is easily recognizable by it's teetering stone chimney and green rough to the west.  The foundation of the old cabin can still be found in an area completely covered by blueberries, but I'm hoping to check there on this trip.  I believe this was purposely burnt down by park staff after he passed and was no longer used.
My Grandfather went to school at the school house in behind there and also taught for a short time there as well.
I'll try and get more posted through my mother if there's an interest.  She spent most of her childhood and teens at the family cottage.  Peek's contacted me previously about this area and I've supplied him some more info.
There's actual some more ruins that aren't even mentioned on Jeffsmaps, but, without me tramping around there again, I can't accurately pinpoint them.

Swede -  Must be nice!  I'm hoping to get to either Quetico or Wabakimi in the next 2 years.  Jealous of your retired status, I've still got ooohhh 20 more years so.

2/03/2017 10:12 am  #11

trippythings wrote:

You should look into Source --> Linda

- you get all the benefits of it being on Hwy 60 (close to Toronto, if you're coming from there.. plenty choices for outfitters, etc.)

- if you do single carries, it's about 3k split into 4 portages, all of which are pretty flat/easy. Travel time is only 3hrs to Linda lake

- avoids large lakes, so mid-day wind isn't as big of an issue (great for first timers)

- 2 out of 4 campsites on the lake are great (the island is a personal favourite), and they only reserve 3... so 2/3 chance of getting something good

- perfect route for a 'there and back' 2 nighter

- exposure both east and west, with lots of flat rocks. 10/10 for sunrise, sunset, stargazing, and swimming

edit: and one more, it's great for privacy! The island and eastern site are far enough away from the others on the lake, and the firepit at the island actually faces northwest, so you're not bothered by any passing traffic. 

I might use this trip idea this summer with my wife and dog.  We are beginner trippers and will be car camping at Canisbay for a week and want to do 2 nights interior.  

Thanks,

2/03/2017 6:40 pm  #12

crewser wrote:

I might use this trip idea this summer with my wife and dog.  We are beginner trippers and will be car camping at Canisbay for a week and want to do 2 nights interior.  

Thanks,

I haven't done the route from Cannisbay, so I can't speak to the difficulty of those 2 portages... but I would assume they're well travelled and in good condition. The first campsites you'll see coming out of the portage will be the south and west sites, but I would advise going straight past those and towards the north and east sites, hoping one of those are free (as mentioned in the other post, the island is a personal favourite). Another reason the island would be great is for your dog - I'm not sure if you intend on having him/her on a leash, but I'd be hesitant to let a dog off leash in the backcountry (if not on an island). 

algonquinbeyond.com

2/04/2017 7:47 am  #13

I'm trying to decide between the Nipissing River and the Crow River for my ice-out solo trip. I'm leaning toward the Crow with a loop up through the Little Madawaska - just trying to plan in such a way to avoid at least one of the LONG portages

2/05/2017 11:16 pm  #14

swedish pimple wrote:

elliot lake region again, chapleau again, quetico, and maybe algonquin park? great to be retired !!!!! 

The Elliot Lake region is awesome! I always camp at Mississagi when I head up that way. This year I am going to Marten River for my birthday trip at the beginning of June. Hoping to do some Walleye and Pike fishing and head up to Kap-Kig-Awan for a day to photograph the falls. Also planned so far are trips to Killarney in the fall with the family and a solo trip, most likely to the cobalt area but also debating and will probably end up going to Superior.

Algonquin will have 2-3 trips, hoping for one in the spring to do some fishing, and a couple in the fall to fish and take in the colours.

2/07/2017 4:56 pm  #15

I'm debating between Booth and Islet Lakes for a 2 night, slow-paced there and back. Any opinions on which is better? Which offers more to do on the "rest" day?

2/08/2017 3:37 pm  #16

A bunch of buddies and I have been doing one or two yearly trips into the park for about 10 years now.  A couple years ago we got wind of Little Eagle Lake, and this year we started looking early and got lucky enough to book it.  The weekend after the May long weekend we will be occupying the only site on Little Eagle Lake.  I am very curious to see what it is going to be like having a private lake for 3 nights.  We are also very curious to see how the brook trout fishing is there.  Should be a great trip!

2/09/2017 10:01 am  #17

Hi, I'm looking at doing a shorter trip first, but would like some help with it.
We're looking at Craig and charr lake, which starts from an alternative access point on the west side.There is only a couple of trip logs to be found on them which are older. Has anyone been there recently? Does anyone have pics of the lake and/or campsites? Are the portages doable for  2 retired ladies, of which one is almost 70? As in steep, roots, etc?We will be doubling the portages as we no longer have the strength to single carry them. ( grumble). is it necessary to book these lakes real early? We're looking at late summer, early September ( after the last long weekend).
Thanks in advance.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.