You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2015 7:52 pm  #1

Quotes

So I was setting up my signature ( haven't figured out the avatar yet ) and I was looking for interesting quotes. I'm sure many of us have done this. Anyone want to share their favorite portage, paddling, adventure quotes to inspire or make us laugh.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

8/25/2015 11:05 pm  #2

Re: Quotes

….portaging is like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer: it feels so good when you stop. – Bill Mason

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/26/2015 8:28 am  #3

Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Dave

8/26/2015 10:55 am  #4

"Not all those who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

"And now I walk into the Wild" - John Krakauer (from my favorite movie..Into the Wild)

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean" - John Muir

8/27/2015 7:21 am  #5

A young Pierre Trudeau famously waxed poetic about canoe tripping in 1944, you could harvest plenty of quotes from that essay: http://www.canoe.ca/che-mun/102trudeau.html

(though most a little on the pretentious side.)

9/15/2015 7:52 am  #6

The one in my signature line has always been my favourite (but I am a little biased as I have read Thoreau's books numerous times).

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

10/06/2015 9:48 am  #7

The original one that I generally use is: Here's to flat lakes and portages.

I keep a list of one-liner words of wisdom in my PC's homepage (all plagarized, of course), and here's an extraction related (perhaps vaguely) to canoeing. I'm worried that this website might run all of these lines together. I'll double space & hope for the best...

"Anyone who has known Algonquin Park will be disappointed when they get to Heaven" -- Ralph Bice.

“I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.” ― Albert Einstein

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists. -Japanese Proverb

The person who doesn't scatter the morning dew will not comb gray hairs - proverb

Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.

We are what we celebrate - entrepreneur and inventor Dean Kamen

Humility does not mean you think less of yourself. It means you think of yourself less. - Ken Blanchard

Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart.  - Philip Chester

Take everyrhing as it comes; the wave passes,, deal with the next one  -Tom Thomson, 1877 - 1917

Not all those who wander are lost  - j.r.r. tolkien

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do. -John Steinbeck, in Grapes of Wrath

Our lives… need the relief of where the pine flourishes and the jay still screams.  — Henry David Thoreau

-Here's to flat lakes and portages,
    Doug Elliott

10/07/2015 4:47 pm  #8

So many good quotes. One of my faves is, I have an immense appetite for solitude, like an infant for sleep, and if I don't get enough for this year, I shall cry all the next. -HDT.

Also, Steve, the quote you attritbuted to John Krakauer should be credited to Chris McCandless.

10/07/2015 7:13 pm  #9

Zen, my bad, thanks for correcting me

10/07/2015 8:00 pm  #10

"May your search through Nature lead you to yourself"
                                                  Author Unknown

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.