You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2015 10:47 am  #1

Late Fall - Permit Issues?

Looking for some advice on trip planning once most access point offices are closed.  Shall Lake closes Oct 12th, so after that date, would I have to travel to the East Gate, then backtrack to the access?  (Starting from Ottawa)

Hoping there is a better way, and that someone has done it and can confirm the method . . .

thanks!

8/25/2015 11:15 am  #2

Re: Late Fall - Permit Issues?

there is an easier way!

call the east gate and obtain a permit over the phone. Bring a pen and paper with you as they will give you your permit number and tell you what other data to put on your hand written permit. Have done this twice in the past, works no problem.

Edit: The phone number specific to over-the-phone permits is: 613-637-2780.

Note: You can only do this in the shoulder seasons, or during the regular season at access points that no longer have contracted permit office (Dividing Lake / Aylen Lake / Bissett Creek)

Last edited by Peek (8/25/2015 11:18 am)

8/25/2015 7:44 pm  #3

Perfect, thanks PEEK, just the info I was hoping for.

Not that its a huge deal, but more time canoeing beats time travelling from Madawaska to Whitney and back again on a short weekend!

8/27/2015 7:57 am  #4

Good to know Peek.

I have gone through the Sand Lake Gate before in early spring and late fall and they had a self serve option. You just wrote your info down on a ticket, tore off your copy for the dash, put the money in the envelope with thier copy and dropped it in the box.

Maybe Shall Lake has one of those too?

10/20/2015 2:34 pm  #5

UPDATE:

I called East Gate to discuss phone in permits for Shall Lake access this weekend, and it turns out the Shall Office is open longer than the posted dates.

Not sure if anyone is headed in that way, but just a heads up.  

10/20/2015 11:25 pm  #6

Is it open until the 25th? I stayed on Sec lake last night and the Sand lake gate was open which surprised me because its listed as closed on the website. She told me they are going to stay open until the 25th.

10/21/2015 2:25 pm  #7

I didn't think to ask, but I do recall hearing multiple offices were still open for extenuating circumstances . . . I didn't think to ask further about those either!

Hours are short though, 9-3, so we're going to have to make camp Friday, and go settle up at the office on Saturday, as per instructions from the East Gate office . . . They can't issue a phone permit until the local office is fully closed . . . 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.