You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2016 7:55 am  #1

Input wanted - Achray weekend

Hi,
I have a question about the grand lake/archray area.

Heading up for a long weekend this coming weekend with my 8yr old son. Was thinking of Pen Lake, but it and Clydegale are mostly full. So I started thinking about Achray, .

I'd like to get some small portages in, so I thought about one of the spectacles, but there are few reports, and not much said about them (certainly not much to sell them).

I've also seen a couple of mentions that Grand Lake itself has some nice sites - what about Carcajou Bay, or Lake Stratton?

Any input would be welcome.

thanks

Keith

9/06/2016 8:51 am  #2

Re: Input wanted - Achray weekend

An east-facing campsite on the north shore of Grand (the railway side) where it starts to narrow down going NW was nice... there is a tiny beach there where your son could swim and the eastern exposure with the long view means that late afternoon light won't be heating the place up too much. It is still close enough to High Falls on CB for a day paddle, or for a hike in to the Wenda cabin or Rowan. I couldn't find much firewood there so you'l either have to bring a good stove or gather wood from some place else.

PS... for an unusual campsite, check out the site on CB closest to the falls... somebody got pretty creative with location choice there. CB campsites weren't for me but that one might be some fun for an eight-year-old.

Last edited by frozentripper (9/06/2016 9:10 am)

9/06/2016 6:42 pm  #3

The two Northern most (Eastern shore) sites on Carcajou Bay are nice.  I don't remember much about the site across the bay from them, but I seem to recall the Southern site was quite steep.  I don't know much about the sites on Stratton, but there are several nice sites on St. Andrews which is just a short portage away.

You might also consider starting at the Bringham lake put-in, going down the Barron River and heading in to Opalescent.  I don't know if you consider 750m to be a short portage.  It's uphill, but the destination is worth it.

A final option is to start at the Squirrel Rapids and head up the Barron River, and stay on the river.  There's a single 345m portage.  The best site is the furthest one.

9/07/2016 6:45 am  #4

You also could consider staying at one of the string of campsites on the peninsula at the very bottom of Grand Lake and doing short trips from there up Carcajou or through Johnson and Berm Lakes.  The grand peninsula was long used as by native inhabitants before the arrival of European settlers.  

You're also a short paddle from the one pictograph (not too difficult to locate on a vertical rock face right near the water, but also not a massive mural...more like one little red image).  Additionally, you will be a short paddle from the location of the "Jack Pine" painting done by Tom Thomson in the early 20th century.  There is a beach there for swimming...if it's a warm day it could be worth a dip but watch out for sharp mussel shells in the shallow, sandy bottom.

Stratton Lake can prove a difficult paddle on a return trip if the wind has whipped up but the narrows between the two large lakes are quiet and serene.

9/07/2016 11:55 am  #5

thanks everyone, very helpful

9/07/2016 3:16 pm  #6

PaPaddler wrote:

You also could consider staying at one of the string of campsites on the peninsula at the very bottom of Grand Lake and doing short trips from there up Carcajou or through Johnson and Berm Lakes.  The grand peninsula was long used as by native inhabitants before the arrival of European settlers.  

You're also a short paddle from the one pictograph (not too difficult to locate on a vertical rock face right near the water, but also not a massive mural...more like one little red image).  Additionally, you will be a short paddle from the location of the "Jack Pine" painting done by Tom Thomson in the early 20th century.  There is a beach there for swimming...if it's a warm day it could be worth a dip but watch out for sharp mussel shells in the shallow, sandy bottom.

Stratton Lake can prove a difficult paddle on a return trip if the wind has whipped up but the narrows between the two large lakes are quiet and serene.

Those sites on Grand Lake are my favourite access point lake sites in the park! The furthest one on the other side of the little river going to Stratton is also very nice, equipped with an awesome stone bench and an epic fire pit! (I've stayed there a couple of times and I bring in firewood because not using that pit would be a shame. lol)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.