You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2016 4:12 pm  #1

two active fires burning, one east, one south, caused by humans !

there are two active fires burning in algonquin park, according the news,, however when i called the park and  talking to debbie , she only knew of one fire "near the east boundary" according to her. the media is reporting that the  fire is actually near the cascades , opalescent area,,  with the second fire in the south park area? each fire has been burning since the 9th of aug.  with smoke reaching barry`s bay community from the cascades fire!!
     the part that blows me away is that debbie said "no fire ban is in place yet,, but they are working on that"
  what  does that mean?    
  my last check on the "friends of algonquin" fund raising site, indicates 13 low water advisories, with dickson lake and ryan lake and hardy bay still closed  because of blue/green algae ,,, the park access points are shrinking fast, and with 72 hour period of heavy thunder storms predicted maybe more fires will be started by lightning. mean while most of cenral ontario, kawartha highlands park , bancroft, minden, peterborugh county ,i could go on and on, have had fire bans in place for weeks. people could of been placed in great jeopardy .  heads should roll on this non call,  mr. dithers,                      i.m.h.o.

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/11/2016 5:00 pm)

8/11/2016 9:34 pm  #2

8/12/2016 9:04 am  #3

Re: two active fires burning, one east, one south, caused by humans !

Quite a dramatic difference in how the park is handling this fire in comparison to the situation a few years ago where there was concern that a fire in the Petawawa Military Reserve could move south and cross the access road into the Achray area.   The Achray campground and all backcountry lakes accessed via the Sand Lake Gate were closed and everyone evacuated.  Considering that there actually was an alternate route out of the park via the Bisset Creek Road it seemed an over reaction and I don't think the fire came anywhere near to reaching the access road.   Now we have a fire on the shore of Highfalls Lake, a fire that MNR says is not yet under control, and the story we get is that a grand total of 12 campsites have been evacuated.   As that area of the park is very popular and has a fairly high density of campsites it sure sounds to me that there would still be people camped fairly close to the fire.

8/12/2016 2:15 pm  #4

Worst part is many of the media sources picked up the error from the https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires website that listed the fire as being on Lake Opeongo incorrectly.  They have updated the original story on the ontario.ca website but some media are still getting it wrong.   As stated above the fire is near High Falls Lake and not Opeongo.

8/12/2016 2:45 pm  #5

Fire APK 021 was reported on the east shore of Opeongo a couple of days ago, human caused and extent only .1 ha. According to the ontario.ca web site, it is now out (click the box in the 'select map layers' sidebar to show extinguished fires).
Hopefully today's rain will help get the High Falls Lake fire (APK 20) under control.

8/12/2016 3:51 pm  #6

That is correct dcmcelroy it was just small and was extinguished shortly after it happened.  We took fire crews up to the spot today so they could verify that it was indeed out, the online map was updated after that.

The big 30ha one is over near High Falls Lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.