You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2016 2:31 pm  #1

Where to Go?

A buddy and I are planning on visiting Algonquin from August 17-20 (three nights), and are looking for suggestions on nice routes to take. Last year we launched at Kiosk and journeyed through that portion of the park so would like to explore new areas this year.

I've been considering launching at Tim River and working our way up to Devine Lake and back. How is the water level in that area this time of year?

Would also be interested in other route suggestions that would be good for fishing (bass or pike), or that would give us good odds at seeing some moose.

I know this is an awfully open ended post, but would appreciate any suggestions. Where would you go?

8/08/2016 8:06 pm  #2

Re: Where to Go?

Haven't personally been but was looking into heading to Rosebary Lake on labour day weekend. I've read in trip logs that the Tim can get pretty low in the fall so we decided to hold off until closer to the date before finalizing anything. But since the summer's been so dry we changed our minds and booked a different lake instead. I've been keeping an eye out on the park advisory and sure enough today I saw an advisory for Tim River. http://algonquinpark.on.ca/news/algonquin_park_advisories.php 

8/09/2016 1:25 pm  #3

we went to rosebary last year in the beginning of september, at the time there was enough water, but even then it was dicey in the places where thick floating mats of material clogged up the river. any lower and it would have been a mud slog. With the current advisories i would not attempt it. Same for the portage to north tea. currently under advisory, so mud slogging quite possible.
As for me, i would attempt going to porcupine (or futher),through smoke) or the otterslides, through canoe lake Both very busy places to start, but larger lakes and no low water advisories (as of yet)
you dont say if portqaging is an issue, as both routes i mention require that, although the route to rosebary has a short but steep portage as well, and many a beaver dam to cross over before getting to rosebary.
sorry cant help with the fishing, or moose, although we never did see moose on the rosebary trip (a week)

8/10/2016 9:13 am  #4

Thanks for the advisory to stay clear of Tim River this time of year.

We ended up booking Bridle - Tatler - Bridle from the Shall Lake access point. Should be a very laid back trip and hopefully we will catch a few pike and/or bass as well.

8/10/2016 3:21 pm  #5

Although most acess are great, I would suggest against the Tim, long and not a enjoyable paddle.  If your are looking for a great place, my favorite for a short trip.... access #7 Source to Bruce to Raven to Owl to Linda.  We've stayed on all these lakes with our favourite, on the Island on Linda, it has a picnic table.  great place to watch both sunrise/sunset, fish, swim and if you take binoculars you can watch the moose, bear and bikers on the trail.  
We just came out of the park, access #3.  Magnetawan, Hanbone, Daisy, Petawawa, stayed in Misty then up to Lt. Trout and out by Ralph Bice.  nice 5 day trip but still our favourite is #7.
Enjoy!!

8/11/2016 7:59 am  #6

The Tim to Rosebary can get difficult in low water conditions. Not impossible but difficult, muddy, leachy and beaver dammy. Great area for moose but neither of the fish species you specify.

You can use Jeff's map to see basically where each species of fish are found in the park. For the most part, bass exist along the Highway 60 corridor and sometimes a lake or two in from there; the North Tea-Kiosk corridor in the northwest corner of the park; the Brent-lower Petawawa corridor in the eastern half of the park; the Barron River and some connected lakes at the east end; Rain Lake in the west end and a few lakes it connects to; and the York River system in the south end of the park (largemouth, though the map doesn't show it yet). Pike have a much more limited distribution in the park -- they're found on the Booth-Crotch Lake corridor and a couple of other lakes in the eastern part of the park.

pgarvie's suggestion could be good for bass, on Linda and Polly.

8/15/2016 2:22 pm  #7

pgarvie wrote:

If your are looking for a great place, my favorite for a short trip.... access #7 Source to Bruce to Raven to Owl to Linda.  We've stayed on all these lakes with our favourite, on the Island on Linda, it has a picnic table.  great place to watch both sunrise/sunset, fish, swim and if you take binoculars you can watch the moose, bear and bikers on the trail.  

I'm interested in exploring this route sometime this Fall. Does anyone know how long it would take on average to get from Access #7 to Linda Lake?

8/15/2016 10:34 pm  #8

RCShevalier wrote:

pgarvie wrote:

If your are looking for a great place, my favorite for a short trip.... access #7 Source to Bruce to Raven to Owl to Linda.  We've stayed on all these lakes with our favourite, on the Island on Linda, it has a picnic table.  great place to watch both sunrise/sunset, fish, swim and if you take binoculars you can watch the moose, bear and bikers on the trail.  

I'm interested in exploring this route sometime this Fall. Does anyone know how long it would take on average to get from Access #7 to Linda Lake?

Jeff's Maps is pretty accurate with it's 2hr40min prediction. The portages aren't too difficult other than 1 or 2 tricky landings to load/unload the canoe if I remember correctly.

The post from pgarvie is pretty spot on... the island site is well used with no firewood and susceptible to the wind, but it's spacious (for such a small island), has gorgeous views of both sunrise and sunset, lots of flat rock for swimming and stargazing, and the site/firepit faces northwest, so you're facing away from the other campsites and passing traffic. It's one of my personal favourites.

Here's my trip report from last year: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44235

The site closest to the portage leading into Iris looked pretty nice as well, and I've read that the south site is good as well. Considering that they only reserve 3 of the 4 sites, you're bound to get something good.

I wouldn't recommend camping on the lakes prior to Linda though, the sites aren't anything special. 

When do you plan on going? I'll actually be heading back to Linda solo for a few nights during the September long weekend.

Last edited by trippythings (8/15/2016 10:51 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/16/2016 7:11 am  #9

There's a couple of trip-logs for Linda Lake  linked to on .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/indexb.htm#7

8/22/2016 3:14 pm  #10

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. For my three night trip we ended up going to Bridle - Tattler - Bridle from the Shall Lake Access Point. It was a great trip with lots of fish being caught. While I have only now visited the park twice, Bridle Lake is my new favorite spot. Beautiful little lake all to yourself and decent bass fishing. If there are nicer spots I cannot wait to find them.

I'm still trying to decide where to go for my September 1-3 trip. Does anyone know if the camp sites on Raven Lake have good swimming? I hear you guys saying Linda is the superior lake, but I'm not sure if my party will be up for the trip. There are four of us going and I will be the only person to have canoe camped before and two of the people will be quite new to canoes in general. I still want to provide them with the portaging experience, but keep it pretty laid back. We also will not be able to arrive till mid-afternoon on the Thursday, which means that we cannot travel far on the first day and cannot stay late on the Saturday. 

Any suggestions on locations that would fit the bill? Smaller lakes with good swimming spots is preferred.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.