You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2015 9:04 am  #1

FALL Trip Suggestions

Hey everyone!
So myself and 3 friends will be planning a trip into AP for the late Fall. We might settle on the first weekend of October, or the last depending on everyones availability. This will be my 2nd trip of the year in AP and I am looking for suggestions regarding where we should go this time around and also on advice for what to expect at the beginning and end of October.

We've been to AP 3 times in the last 3 years (the last being 2 weeks ago - still speachless). We do not own canoes so we've been using access point 5/6 renting canoes from the Portage Store and heading South off Smoke Lake.

I am looking for a new starting point, unless the replies convince us to simply head up Canoe Lake for a change.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback. Also advice on gear and what to expect for backcountry camping in late fall.

Thank you!

8/24/2015 10:01 am  #2

Re: FALL Trip Suggestions

There are rental places available close to nearly every access. If you're elsewhere along Hwy 60 and coming from the west gate, you can rent at Algonquin Outfitters. They are right on hwy 60 before you enter the park. They will help you tie the canoes to your vehicle and will even rent you a roof rack so you can put 2 canoes on one car (We put 2 on a tiny Mazda 3 with no trouble).

You could also do Rain Lake access on the west side of the park for something different. You can sent at Canoe Algonquin in Kearney and for an extra fee they will deliver right to Rain Lake (or you could load it to your car). You may want to check the status of the access road to Rain Lake before your trip. It can get pretty messy. I'll be there over labour day and can report back but if we get big storms in Sept, it could get worse.  

As for gear, plan for cold weather and rain. Good rain pants and jacket will be key to keeping you dry (and therefore warm). A good tarp will also be important. 

Other than making sure you're packing warm clothes and a warm enough sleeping bag, the rest of the gear would be similar to summer camping. Expect to have a heavier pack due to extra clothes. Also, bring more hot drinks (Hot chocolate, coffee, tea, whisky) than you typically would. 

Fall canoeing is always a great time! Beautiful colours and there is something so nice about snuggling into a sleeping bag when it's cold out. 

8/24/2015 11:29 am  #3

Re: FALL Trip Suggestions

The roads into Rain and Magnetawan and Tim will (hopefully) be spectacular with the leaves turned colour. 

Pretty much every access point has an *local* outfitter to rent canoes.  I've never understood why people stick to Highway 60 for this reason.

A darned good reason to stay away from Highway 60 during "leaf peeping" season is the hordes on the highway, at every trail, and at any rest stop.  Or stopped along the highway to take photos.

Tour buses crammed with people, parked anywhere they like. 

I would go to the west side as suggested.  Unless there's some horrendous weather event, the roads should be just fine. 

Camp at an access lake, or put a couple of portages in.  Lots of options.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.