You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2015 7:44 pm  #1

Pen lake vs Opeongo

We've camped at Opengo quite a few times, usually around windy point. For next year, I am hoping to do something different. First I was looking for locations without the need for portage. But as I want it to be as remote as possible and yet not too far from Toronto, decided Pen lake with that short portage could be the best choice.

Will I find Pen lake too small? Will the camp sites be as far apart as  Opeongo?
Will it be more crowded than around windy point of Opeongo? It is nice not to have motor boats though ( too many water taxis passing by windy point).

Any other lakes with not much portage, secluded and not too much more driving from TO is also appreciated.

Also who should I rent the equipment from, if I decide on Pen lake from access point 9. Any camping sites that are particularly nice.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gilgamesh (8/23/2015 7:55 pm)

8/23/2015 8:06 pm  #2

Re: Pen lake vs Opeongo

Penn is a decent destination.  The site that I like on Penn is about half way down on the left with a very large beach landing.  Great trees for hanging food bag due to the slope of the hill.  The peepers that are close to the rear of the site are a great way to get lulled to sleep. 
One more portage, which is not too difficult, and you are into Clydegale as another option.

Another option is Little Eagle off of Magnetawan.  It is dead end lake and only one portage in. 

8/23/2015 8:22 pm  #3

Hi G
I've only been to Pen once but it's a lovely lake. The advantage is you can do some day trips out of it ( depending on how long you stay). You can pack a lunch and portage into Clydegale if you have a free day ( another really short portage ). I will sometimes pick an empty campsite and have lunch, swim, fish or even have a fire. If your really ambitious you could do the portage into Welcome Lk. Not so bad if you are only bringing the canoe and some gear/food for the day. It would make for a good challenge but very doable. It also allows you to explore Rock Lk on the way in or out and all these Lks are easier to navigate than Opeongo on a really windy day. As I said, only been there once and I stayed at the last campsite on the east side which was great. High up ( a little climb up the rocks but lovely view) but big site just not many flat spots for tenting if you have a couple tents. If you do decide to visit Pen, make sure to stop for some spring water that flows out a 3" pipe about half way along the portage ( I think it's next to the board walk if memory serves me ) It's great drinking water and cold.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

8/23/2015 8:31 pm  #4

Cf
Little eagle looks like an excellent choice, thanks!
Clydgale will be too much to canoe for us

Last edited by Gilgamesh (8/23/2015 8:35 pm)

8/23/2015 8:36 pm  #5

K
Thanks! Clydgale will be a nice day trip option, thanks for all the suggestions. Wish I can attach a picture as I could attach one with numbers for the campsites.

8/23/2015 9:01 pm  #6

Gilgamesh wrote:

K
Thanks! Clydgale will be a nice day trip option, thanks for all the suggestions. Wish I can attach a picture as I could attach one with numbers for the campsites.

There's a map of Pen Lake with all the sites numbered if you look under the PCI Project page on the main Algonquin Adventures site . I think #8 is a really popular site (on a point with nice sandy landing) and might even be the one that canoefanatic is referring to.

Pen is nice, lots of day tripping options. Lots of waterfalls/rapids along the portages to check out as well.

8/24/2015 6:28 am  #7

Yes, I have that map with the numbered sites. 8 is on a point, if there's a beach also, that'd be great.

I think we will go up to site 9 and not much further. So the best of 2-9 and 17,18 would be our choices

PS: we will be going on a Thursday, on a non long weekend. Most likely in August again. Hoping we can get some good spots then.

Last edited by Gilgamesh (8/24/2015 6:37 am)

8/24/2015 6:42 pm  #8

I don't think you will be impressed by 17 and 18. When we paddled by them last year, they looked very closed off and buggy. Probably nicer for colder, windier weather.

8/25/2015 9:28 am  #9

I agree with liddle_loodle. Sites on the west side of Pen seemed very closed off and buggy when I paddled by them last year. I'd stay to the east side of the lake. 

8/30/2015 11:20 pm  #10

There are a lot of nice sites on Pen. You should have no problem finding a nice one. My BiL & I went there last week for the first time. It was busy and we got down to site #10 before we found a free one. Decent site, Fairly sheltered canopy with a good tent pad to the left. Good fire pit. There is a large rock at the front of the site that can be used for cooking, There is a nice view for sunsets and star gazing and good swimming from the pebbled beach. Best landing is to the right. Site #11 is nicer, though, if it's available.

Learn from our mistake, though. When leaving from AP#9, we looked at the map and decided we'd just stick to the right shore all the way down Rock to the Pen Lake portage and away we went. It was only when we got to the Pog Lake portage did we realize we were on Whitefish, not Rock. So be sure to go left, not right, from the AP.

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/lakes/Pen/images/PenMap.jpg

Last edited by Algonquintripper (8/30/2015 11:39 pm)

Dave

8/31/2015 6:50 am  #11

We camped on the island site in Pen in 2012. It was a campsite then. Has it been closed? ( it looked eroded then).
It was fishing weekend and very busy.  Last weekend in April..that was the year of early ice out.

8/31/2015 8:54 pm  #12

kayamedic wrote:

We camped on the island site in Pen in 2012. It was a campsite then. Has it been closed? ( it looked eroded then).
It was fishing weekend and very busy.  Last weekend in April..that was the year of early ice out.

Which site? 3? It was still there last year IIRC...
The island sites tend to be quite popular thus heavily used which could give it that eroded look

9/03/2015 11:38 am  #13

AT

thanks for posting the image with the camp sites and thanks for the advice. If we end up in Pen lake, we'll try to get down to 11.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.