You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2016 9:00 pm  #1

Hiking Shoes -- Waterproof or not?

I am looking to hike/backpack this summer. I found a pair of hiking shoes that were comfortable but they were not waterproof. Is this a big deal?

6/27/2016 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Hiking Shoes -- Waterproof or not?

It's preferred actually. It's next to impossible to avoid getting your feet wet on many trails, and once they're wet, you want shoes that dry quickly. Waterproof shoes hold the water in and take longer to dry.

6/28/2016 5:03 am  #3

I prefer waterproof boots myself.  But after awhile even waterproof boots get wet inside. There is also some difference between backpacking and hiking shoes or boots.  My boots are backpacking style made for a heavy load. My hiking shoes are short with less support for a heavy load.  My hiking shoes are not waterproof and my feet will get wet in the morning just from the dew on the grass. My boots will not get wet from the dew.  Also a good pair of socks is mandatory I prefer wool socks.

6/28/2016 9:45 am  #4

I'm in Shawn's camp - how quickly they dry, how much they weigh (both dry and wet) and how well they breathe are the most important considerations for me. I heavily rely on reviews when buying shoes because you can only learn about those things through experience with the product.

6/28/2016 10:30 am  #5

My 2 cents..I wear a water/hiking shoe in the warmer months...much easier for entering and exiting the canoe fine for a camp shoe too. so saves weight.

Colder monthsand Hiking any time I wear a waterproof hiking boot that I have had no issues with staying dry.

Currently I'm using both Salomon products Techamphian 3 and Quest Origin GTX.. 

If you choose to use a non waterproof hiking boots but still want to keep your feet dry.and just dry out your boots... have you considered using waterproof sock?. lots of options but something like this..

https://www.amazon.ca/DexShell-Coolvent-Waterproof-Socks-Medium/dp/B00IT5K6XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467127698&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+socks 

Last edited by ShawnD (6/29/2016 10:18 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/28/2016 12:01 pm  #6

for backpacking I prefer a solid waterproof boot  with decent tread, and change my heavy wool socks often. I've seen too many people who get their feet wet from dew, muddy spots, puddles, etc. end up with nasty blisters.
When I stop for a lunch break, I'll change socks, and again at camp (I hang the damp ones off my pack to air)

6/28/2016 12:35 pm  #7

For a hiking boot I still prefer a good leather boot. They breath better than technical waterproof boots, last longer, and with minimal care are pretty much waterproof on their own. For shoes, I've been through several pairs of Merell's and again prefer the non-waterproof ones but to be honest the last few pairs have stretched so much that I'm ready to try something different. 

6/30/2016 8:28 am  #8

This is a hugely personal choice. My husband HATES gortex because they don't breath as well and his feet get hot. He's rather have wet feet than hot feet (which end up wet with sweat anyway). While another friend LOVES waterproof, fully leather boots. While my husband is avoiding puddles on the trail with spry steps she tromps right through without a care in the world.

My biggest criteria is support as I'm not always super sure-footed. I like boots with full ankle support and a good tread. Mine are Gortex because I wear them 3-season and because it's hard to find non-waterproof boots!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.