You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2016 2:39 pm  #1

Late September Brooktrout

Hello all, It's looking like a busy summer at work so I'm thinking of saving my vacation until September. Just wondering if anyone has fished for Brookies on the last week of the season, I believe it's the last week of September. I'm guessing the water is still fairly warm depending on the weather of course but do the trout start moving up in the water column that time of year? I could always troll with bottom bouncers or weights but just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience casting with spoons or trolling rapalas similar to springtime and if it was effective. Not sure where I'll go but likely big lake stuff Lavieille, Burntroot, Catfish something along those lines.

6/23/2016 9:33 am  #2

Re: Late September Brooktrout

Yes, BT catch in shallow inshore water will pick up during the last few days of Sept if water temps cool off enough. Surface temps falling below 20C might be enough to get them inshore and 15C will be cold enough to be in their preferred temp range. Having done creel census in ancient times, catch can go from dead slow early Sept to good enough to get the old vets fishing by the end pulling out some good sized fish.

Small lakes with cold groundwater (springs) inflow might cool off faster than large, slower-cooling lakes that are fed mainly by streams and rivers, just speculation but comparing surface temps between the two could help. The seasoned vets I got to see fishing at this time were on small, spring-fed lakes... good luck.

6/23/2016 10:34 pm  #3

Thanks for the tips Frozentripper, good feedback I appreciate the post.

6/24/2016 12:07 pm  #4

This nice male was caught in late September. Medium sized lake with avg depth. Just trolling with the usual spring rig. Released of course - no net ,not touched.  

6/24/2016 4:57 pm  #5

Thanks Antman, pretty fish, seems like they have a slightly different appearance in the fall, nice color's. I'm with you on the no net policy I'd been using one for ever and this spring I gave up, hard on the fish and the tackle. I think I'm going to go barbless from here on also, should have done it years ago. Live and learn.

6/24/2016 7:12 pm  #6

Made it official, Sept 24 - Oct 1, think this may be a new tradition if it works out. Going to do Proulx-Crow-Lavieille and out through Dickson. I've done this route many times but never in September should be a blast. Thanks again for the late season tips.

6/24/2016 11:11 pm  #7

Hubbs ,

Those strange colours are just the usual spawning colours the males take on. Its why many fishermen like the late season fishing. Trees may not look right due to the fact I am on the NE end of the park and the Ottawa R seems to keep things warmer and hence delay the true fall by a few weeks.
I have only used single hooks for over 25 yrs now. But if that hook is taken too deeply I carry a small set of sidecutters and I cut the shaft. 
PS On the topic of colours the nicest male I ever got in the park was in the Plumb L area and about 3 lbs. But was caught in early May and then I am pretty sure I got the same fish a few weeks later on a return trip. Don't get worked up though because the two different partners I went in with were both skunked. 

6/25/2016 1:54 pm  #8

Do your spoon's run well with the single hooks? I've found spoons can run weird when the balance is off. I agree sidecutters are a must on fishing trips not only for the fish but also the fisherman (especially pike fishing) as I found out on a trip to Horwood lake last summer.

6/26/2016 11:42 am  #9

Hobbs , 

Don't use spoons much but I carry a few small ones. On lures like that I use a single  weedless hook . Odd plug is the same .Only the tail has a hook. Its true they might run flat but its not a big deal for me.
My bread and butter is the panther martin . 

6/26/2016 1:31 pm  #10

I'll give that a shot, I bring panther martins every year but I never use them, you know what they say old habits die hard. I was actually thinking small eerie-deeries tipped with a worm might be good to get me down a little, I use them from time to time for Walleye so they must be running 12+ feet.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.