You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2016 2:40 pm  #1

Fishing for Dummie(s)

So, I'm apparently pretty lousy at fishing in Algonquin!  I've tried a couple times and I just can't seem to get anything at all. I'm obviously doing something very wrong. Down in Pennsylvania where I live, I generally through a minnow on a hook with a sinker and sit back with a beer until something decides to take the bait. Apparently, such laziness doesn't cut it up North. I was up in the Baron Canyon area this May and didn't have any luck at all.

We are heading back to the park July 23rd thru the 27th. I'd like to try fishing again and maybe get some advice from the experts as to how to handle it. We will be on Ragged, Big Porcupine, and Little Coon Lakes. Any advice on lures, rigs, depth, techniques, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance!

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Dr. Carl Sagan

6/21/2016 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Fishing for Dummie(s)

Do you have a targeted species or anything bringing a tight line would work? I'm from Pennsylvania myself - believe we have the bass and pike figured out but still a Virgin in the trout department - can PM you on what's worked well for bass and pike if you like - also where are from in PA? I'm SW in Washington county

Last edited by Andy W (6/21/2016 5:42 pm)

6/21/2016 4:57 pm  #3

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply. 

To be honest, I'd be happy catching absolutely anything at this point! LOL! Ultimately catching some Brookies or Lakers would be fantastic, but I'm going to be picky!

Small world, man. I live in Pittsburgh, just outside the Liberty Tubes!

cj

6/21/2016 6:25 pm  #4

Hey cj. Just sent you a PM. Yeah. . Small world but like Steven Wright would say "I wouldn't want to paint it"

6/21/2016 7:59 pm  #5

At that time of year you will have no problem catching smallies on Ragged, and lots of them. There are some nice fish in there. The usuals will work, meaning about everything, curly tail grubs, rapalas, some surface poppers etc etc. There are also a few lakers in Ragged. Bad time to be fishing for them and its not a 'great' laker lake...Big porc is a trout lake. Again poor time to be chasing them but trolling down 30' (right around the thermocline) might get you some brookies.A small spinner with a piece of worm as a trailer, or even a small perch or natural coloured countdown rapala. Use a snap weight to get the sinner down deep. The Barron canyon area is more of a bass fishery and in May they will be lethargic and hardly biting at all, plus out of season. There are some trout lakes in the area, some are okay but not many I would go to if I wanted to catch trout...If you want trout in May, go to some of the well- known bigger and better lakes. Complying with forum policy and only talking about larger lakes, try visiting Lavielle...

Moonman.

Last edited by Moonman (6/21/2016 8:01 pm)

6/21/2016 9:46 pm  #6

I second Moonman. Ragged will be the easiest lake on your route to catch a nice game fish because there are smallmouth bass there. Probably better to fish more aggressively, casting lures at promising structure, rather than still fishing. And I hope you're aware of the live baitfish ban in Algonquin (dead minnows are fine). A twister tail grub on a jighead should work on Ragged, try shorelines with weeds and sunken timber. There are some good spots for that along the southwestern shore of the channel from Crown Bay to the 350 m portage. Big Porc and Little Coon are trout lakes, and the trout will be deep by July. Makes things more difficult. There's another current thread in this same sub-forum about ways you might be able to catch summer trout assuming you don't have a trolling reel for leadcore line.

But yes, definitely come back for trout in May, but to a better trout lake... and it doesn't have to be as deep into the interior as Lavielle, especially if you're okay with more modestly-sized trout.

Last edited by DanPM (6/21/2016 9:50 pm)

6/22/2016 5:53 am  #7

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah...I'm definitely aware of the live-bait restrictions. Because of that, I never thought to use a dead-minow! lol. I just figured lures only!

I appreciate the tips and information! Thanks a ton!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.