You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/03/2016 5:07 pm  #1

back country gear

Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you my new blog post on what to bring on your first back country camping trip.

Camping is a hobby and like all hobbies, it tends to get expensive in a hurry. As you graduate from car camping to back country camping, you realize that space is limited and that the more you bring the more you will have to haul.

Small, lightweight equipment such as tents, chairs and sleeping bags are pricey. 

I would love to ready your opinions and takes on my hilarious take on camping gear on my travel blog:

http://befreeandtravel.com/our-camping-gear/

6/03/2016 10:30 pm  #2

Re: back country gear

One thing I would definitely change is the picture of the blue barrel, Blue barrels aren't even bear-resistant, never mind bear safe. I wouldn't recommend the Primus stove either. Those cylinders are an abomination! Every year I seem to pick up a dozen or more that were chucked under the nearest bush when they ran out

6/04/2016 10:01 am  #3

I will definitely take care of the bear proof bag on the next trip. It did the job for us but maybe furry friends were busy elsewhere.

As for the Primus it has always been a great addition to camping for us and we take the empty cylinders back with us but I agree with you in regards to people littering. That happens all the time. We end up picking up other people's garbage

6/04/2016 11:32 am  #4

I noticed on your Algonquin Park Canada post (Nov 2014) you mentioned driving to the Petewawa River from the Twelve Mile Cabin.. how were you able to obtain a permit to drive through the restricted section of logging road between the cabin and Lake Traverse?

6/04/2016 11:49 am  #5

Hi Peek,

Booking that cabin was our first experience of that kind. We got extremely lost without GPS and took a long time finding the cabin. I have not had information regarding logging roads and only after posting here (old forum) did I find out about the logging roads. Since I wrote that post, I have made sure to let everyone know about restrictions on driving.

6/04/2016 6:59 pm  #6

your post indicates that you are promoting on what to bring on you first backcountry trip.  I watched your video on killarney and it seems you are missing something when you are paddling in your canoe....life jackets.  it is my opinion that life jackets are important when canoe tripping.

6/04/2016 7:09 pm  #7

As per the law

Currently, boaters are required to have PFDs within reach for everyone on board. But the law does not force anyone, including children, to actually wear a life-jacket.  (Which we did)

I wasn't promoting unsafe operation of a canoe. Just our experience.

6/04/2016 8:42 pm  #8

Thanks for the link. Pack weight is a big thing for me and I've never considered chairs for backcountry excursions. Instead, I cut out a piece of cheap closed-cell foam to place on top of a log or rock for sitting. It adds a lot of comfort (and warmth) with minimal weight and pack room. It also doubles as an extra cushion for my hips when sleeping...

Cheers,

Rich

6/04/2016 9:38 pm  #9

Fantastic advice. We actually brought as much as possible on our first back country trip to see the usefulness and lack of various items.

6/06/2016 3:09 pm  #10

Are you advocating these items for canoeing or backpacking (including long portages)? Because if you have to carry your packs any distance:
- cast iron anything and grilling baskets can be easily replaced by lighter options
- the blue canoe barrel (which is not a bear barrel) is much improved by having a harness
- the Lifestraw bottles only carry about 650 mL of water, are heavy at half a pound and you're restricted to filtering your drinking water only, no option for cooking water. In Algonquin in particular, where the water often has tannins, filtering cooking water will significantly improve colour and taste (and requires far less boiling time, saving fuel). I'd recommend a different filter (squeeze or pump) that allows you to filter larger quantities of water at a time. Plus think of it this way - if two people each have a Lifestraw bottle, you're carrying two filters when you really only need one.

7/03/2016 3:36 pm  #11

I liked the blog, it is helpful and I think you take away from it what you want
It is great to see people out in the wilderness having fun!

7/04/2016 11:04 pm  #12

Thank you! We are definitely not pros but through our blog just want to inspire and encourage young people to get and experience nature

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.