You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2016 9:35 am  #1

1 night stay at drive-in before backpacking

I'm doing a canoe trip with my family, and then when they come out they will drop me off at a campground for one night to reorganize before I do a solo trip of the western uplands trail. Getting a campsite at the drive in sites is ~$45 per night, so I was wondering if anyone here happened to be staying somewhere at a campground in Algonquin the night of Aug 6/7 and wouldn't mind me staying on their site for the night. I'm willing to cover part of the cost of the site for the night.

On another note, I won't have a car while I'm there, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience hitchhiking their way down hwy 60, and if they were successful, as that is my current plan to get from the West Gate to Pog L when I am finished my trip.

5/26/2016 12:59 pm  #2

Re: 1 night stay at drive-in before backpacking

try to get a dorm room at the "wolf den hostel,", $17.00   , nine k from the west gate,, easy hitch hike to the trail head from there,, maybe bum a ride at the breakfast table that morning?  great spot to jump off.   
    good luck

5/26/2016 1:23 pm  #3

Are you renting boatsfor canoe trip by chance? AO offer tent cabins if renting from them for this purpose. If renting would be worth looking in to.Showers and washroom. Also Lotsa traffic heading in to park. Could easily swing a lift.

5/26/2016 3:37 pm  #4

I just looked into Wolf Den and it looks great! The parkbus even stops there! Thanks for the help.

5/26/2016 8:14 pm  #5

Isaactsg, just remember, you have to make your own food in the communal kitchen and do your own dishes. I stayed there in September of 2015 and it was very clean. Right beside the highway.

5/26/2016 8:16 pm  #6

Yes, I'm just glad I will have a roof over my head and a hard floor! It's also nice because I don't have to bring a frying pan and cache it at Wolf Den while I'm backpacking. I did call them though and they are fine with me leaving a bag or box of clothes and food there while I'm on my trip.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.