You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 11:25 am  #1

Little Billings to Branch Lake - Low water issues?

Has anyone been through the creek (York River?) from Little Billings south to Branch Lake?  Jeff's Map has a warning that low water level can prevent travel between the two lakes.  Any idea just how low it gets?  

For that matter, has anyone done the trip from Hay Lake right down down to Big Mink Lake?  I'm thinking of trying it in mid August, but water levels could certainly be of concern then.  I don't mind if its difficult, I just want to have a somewhat accurate estimate of the time required.

Thanks.

5/04/2016 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Little Billings to Branch Lake - Low water issues?

Hi CS, 

This may not be all that useful since it's not recent, but I figured I'd offer since you may not find many who've been that way. In July 2008 (a rainy week) my brother and I came through there. The P2395 was pretty clear and level, it doesn't follow the N. York much. On the river, the going wasn't particularly tough, no mudflats or spots where we had to drag. Pretty marshy. We made it from Little Billings to the Kingscote access point in about 4 or 5 hours, the end of a two-week trip so we weren't pushing it. 

If you're thinking of coming down from Little Hay to Billings, however, those portages were a nightmare, with blowdowns and constant bushwhacking to one side or the other of the river/creek to find a trail. Luckily there was that drainage to follow or it would have been a very tough time navigating. 

Afraid I can't help you with Hay->Big Mink! (You do mean outside the Park, right?) 

-MattJ

Last edited by MattJ (5/04/2016 2:19 pm)

5/10/2016 7:41 pm  #3

Thanks for the tip!  I assumed the Little Hay -> Billings section would be the easy part; I'll have to ask around to see if it's been cleaned at all in the past few years.

And ya, Big Mink I was thinking of is outside of the park.  Worst case scenario it would be a bit of bush whacking upriver a little bit.  But coming out there would make arranging a pickup a bit easier.

5/11/2016 1:18 am  #4

Low enough that you can't really do the route. GFromKitch was the one that pointed that out to me a couple of years ago when he tried late in the year.

I don't know anyone who's done Hay to Big mink but it's on my todo list. I expect it to be a challenge. If you try it I'd really love to hear what you find :D

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.