You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2016 12:32 pm  #1

Little trout creek site?

Hey guys just a little confused.

off the tim river there is a site called little trout creek. on jeffs map it is on the tim river (where I want it to be) but when booking it on the ontario parks site it shows its before the portage to tim on queer lake.

anybody been there before and can let me know where that site is specifically. thanks 

4/23/2016 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Little trout creek site?

I've stayed there before. I can guarantee it's exactly where my map says it is.

The Ontario Parks reservation map isn't even close to being spatially accurate, but I don't think that's really something that concerns them (since it's not for navigation or anything). But yea, that means that it can be a bit confusing at times.

In general I'd always trust my map regarding the campsite placements. While the odd one might be a bit off (~10% aren't GPSed yet,) even the least accurate ones on my map shouldn't be too far off.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

4/24/2016 5:33 am  #3

guitarsandcanoes wrote:

Hey guys just a little confused.

off the tim river there is a site called little trout creek. on jeffs map it is on the tim river (where I want it to be) but when booking it on the ontario parks site it shows its before the portage to tim on queer lake.

anybody been there before and can let me know where that site is specifically. thanks 

What Jeff said.  It's exactly where he shows it on his map.
The feature photo on this page of my blog and the video shows the campsite.  I stayed there last spring for one night.

http://myselfreliance.com/tim-river-algonquin-provincial-park/

4/24/2016 3:50 pm  #4

Does anyone know if you can get your backcountry permit at the west gate if you have booked your lakes in advance,or do you have to go to the correct access point and get the permit there?
As well, because of our time of arrival, too late in the evening, we'll be staying close by but not in the park)I'm considering booking an extra night (although we won't be using the campsite on that lake) just so we can get going in the morning without having to wait for the access office to open and/ or face line ups as its a busy access point.

4/24/2016 6:46 pm  #5

Basically it depends on which access point you're starting at. If you're going through Kearney then no, you need to get your permit at Kearney (it's privately run and they're contractually entitled to get their cut of the permit revenue).

4/24/2016 6:58 pm  #6

We are starting at opeongo, but would prefer to get a permit for a day earlier and just forfeit that night on the lake, but be able to get going right away before 7 am it he following morning. That won't work?

4/25/2016 12:32 am  #7

Opeongo and the West Gate are both run by Ontario Parks so they might be willing to do that for you. In the past they've issued me a Canoe Lake permit at the West Gate but more recently someone else I know was rebuffed so it could go either way for you.

4/25/2016 5:27 am  #8

I had heard somewhere about obtaining a permit number by phone and posting that on your dash, then seettling up at permit office on your way out. Was this a dream or only permitted durring shoulder season or when seasonal office closures are in effect? Would appreciate more in for this. Would make sense as the park would have you itinerary and credit card number to apply applicable charges in the event you skipped the apres trip office visit.

4/25/2016 9:22 am  #9

At a different access point, they were nice enough to leave it tacked on a bulletin board for me to pick up outside of office hours.

4/25/2016 9:32 pm  #10

@Shayne74 This happens all year long in the offseason as well as for a couple of low use access points (Aylen and Livingstone)

There's no need to visit the permit office after a trip.

4/25/2016 9:52 pm  #11

Excellent to know.  Wonder why more people wouldn't  take advantage of it. Thanks. Jeff.

4/25/2016 10:33 pm  #12

Sorry by off season I mean December through March

2/26/2017 8:06 pm  #13

Is it possible to skip the Queer Lake to Tim River portage through Little Trout Creek in the spring? Might be going through that way, was wondering if it was worth a try?

2/27/2017 7:28 am  #14

Catto9 wrote:

Is it possible to skip the Queer Lake to Tim River portage through Little Trout Creek in the spring? Might be going through that way, was wondering if it was worth a try?

Probably Not.

Your starting point is 19m higher than your end point. The creek is about 2km long. So over 2km you will descend approx. 63 ft. This means it won't just be a potentially log-jammed creek, but would impossible to paddle without getting out of the boat and portaging around the drops in the creek.

It would surely be an adventure, but I'd probably just take the portage and save the effort - if there wasn't such a large elevation difference over a relatively short distance, I'd think it would be more plausible. 

Edit: On a closer look, the vast majority of the elevation changes happen AFTER the road. You could consider paddling the creek to the bridge abutment then just follow the road for 800m to where it crosses the Tim River. The difference in elevation here is only 1 or 2 meters, but after the bridge the drops become more substancial. This would cut your portage down from 1860m to about 800m and avoids 95% of the elevation changes. This I would look at.

Last edited by Peek (2/27/2017 7:32 am)

2/27/2017 11:31 am  #15

Thanks Peek, I think we will try it, always up for an adventure either way.

I'm looking at Jeffs map right now and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the little pinkish marks/irregular shapes signify? You can see them on a lot of streams/inlets etc.

2/27/2017 12:04 pm  #16

Beaver Dams

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.