You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Yesterday 11:52 am  #1


Website Visits

I've removed the "third party" website visit counter from the very bottom of  AlgonquinAdventures.com's front page. I had placed it there many years ago to provide an indication of how many people were visiting the website. While the Google Artificial Intelligences have been lauding the website with comments like " .. is widely considered an essential and highly useful resource for anyone planning a backcountry trip to Algonquin Provincial Park. It has served as a central hub for the park's community for decades." .. the counts registering on the "Bravenet" 3rd party counter have been steadily slipping lower over the past years.

It appears that these "inserted" counters are increasingly being negated by web-browsers and browser extensions that treat them the same as 3rd party "ads" and "tracking devices". It was no wonder that the counter was providing decreasing "counts"!

In pursuit of an accurate alternative, I was advised to burrow into my website's management features for its own internal "tracker". "Easyhosting" has been joined into "Go Daddy", and now provides daily statistics which count how often the website are recorded heading out from it's own server. No third party is involved in collecting these stats!

Rather than the twenty or thirty daily visits being recently tallied by the 3rd party counter, the website server is typically recording between 125 and 200 visits per day. 

It is very easy for me to access these stats and equally easy to share them by way of a simple "screen capture" .. the first of which, I've provided below and linked to at the bottom of the website's front page. I anticipate updating these on a monthly basis.

I must confess that these higher visit counts are providing me with definite incentive to keep going with the website. As for the forum, I'd like to hear from you all as to how I/we might make it more useful and responsive? 

 

 

Board footera