You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2016 6:41 am  #1

Spring Trout fishing route?

My brother and I are departing on May 1st for a 4 day/3 night trout fishing trip. We have been talking about starting at Cache Lake and doing Cache, Head, Harness, Pardee, Kirkwood, Phipps, Bonnechere, Big Porcupine, Ragged, Smoke, Little Island, Tanamakoon, Cache.
I would assume we would probably camp on Harness, Big Porcupine/Ragged, then Little Island.

Second option is to start at Grand Lake and do the long route through Cork/Opalescent and camp on the river just down from the Canyon and then make our way back to Grand but through High Falls. He has never canoed the Barron River and its my favourite part of the park thus far. I'm just unsure about trout in this area.

3/29/2016 7:59 am  #2

Re: Spring Trout fishing route?

A few springs back I fished Grand, Stratton, St. Andrews, St. Francis and Rowan and didn't have any luck.  Never fished the other lakes out of St. Andrews though.  The route out of Cache does have some good fishing.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/29/2016 6:38 pm  #3

Yeah, I would think the Cache option would be the better bet for trout. Maybe save the Barron option for a summer trip when you're going to want to play in the falls and catch a bass or two. If you're debating between Big Porcupine and Ragged for the 2nd night, my vote is Big Porc. Probably better fishing, and less traffic from Smoke. I think it's also your best bet for brookies on the route, as opposed to lakers. Good laker fishing on the lakes you'll travel through on the first 2 days. Not sure about the fishing on Little Island, it would be lakers if anything.

I've done the route actually, but in the opposite direction and starting from Smoke, and in only 3 days. In fact I kind of overestimated the distances a bit, I thought doing it in 3 days would be a push but we finished each day in comfortable time. I guess on a trout-focused trip you'll want the extra down time for fishing.

4/04/2016 10:13 am  #4

Any recommendations for camp-sites on this route?

4/04/2016 1:55 pm  #5

Campsite on Big Porc at the East end of the narrows isvery large. Good large firepit built into a boulder helps keep the heat. Access the site from the narrows or from the point.

I would skip fishing Cache, Head, Ragged, nSmoke and just push through them.

Last edited by Craigson (4/04/2016 1:57 pm)

4/04/2016 3:19 pm  #6

Well, if it's a fishing trip then you need to trolling as you paddle. ;-) So I wouldn't so much 'skip' Smoke or Ragged but there is a difference between dragging a line and working the shorelines. Generally speaking the fishing potential improves the farther you get from the access points, so I definitely agree with Craigson that you should plan on spending more time/effort on Big Porc than on lakes like Smoke or Ragged. 

4/05/2016 6:37 am  #7

I'd recommend getting a copy of Stephen Molson's depth maps here:  http://www.molsonmapping.com/Products.html

Many of the lakes you plan to travel through are included...as well as his nearly expert guidance on how to fish for char.  

I think the string between Head and Bonnechere will likely be the most productive although some of them are lake trout only and no specks.  Four days of pretty intensive fishing should get you on some trout - I'd work the deeper shorelines or submerged points - the fish should be quite shallow at that time of year so between 5' and 10' deep would probably be the most productive...but you never know.  Zig-zag as you troll to cover more water and use a relatively slow troll - we've found that just having the stern man paddle and allow the bow man to cast towards shore or in front of the canoe with a spoon or rapala can produce results.  

Most importantly, fish the first couple hours of light and the last couple hours of light.  We've accomplished this by base-camping and doing day trips but you can do it in traveling mode by fishing early, come back and break camp and then troll/spot fish your way to the next camp.  Set up in the afternoon when fishing is slow, eat an early dinner and then get out on the water an hour or two before sunset.  Don't pass up any creeks that empty into the lakes as well...these are often areas where food sources are more varied and plentiful.

Final recommendation is to pinch the barbs on your hooks with needle-nosed pliers and practice catch and release whenever possible.  Best of luck and be sure to post some pictures on your return!

4/05/2016 8:58 am  #8

Thanks for all the help! Chances are when we are on the move I will always have a line in the water. Definitely going to aim for camp-sites on Pardee, Big proc, and Little island. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.