You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2016 1:16 pm  #1

Early Spring Trout Lakes

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to plan a canoeing/fishing trip with my buddy to Algonquin Park for trout opener. We are hoping to be there for a few days either during the opener (April 23), or the week after (April 30). I'm relatively new to Algonquin Park and only visited once last year in the Kiosk lake area. I'm looking for any information that you can provide about fishing the park this early in the season. We also want to make a canoe trip out of it, so we are expecting portages and willing to travel good distances within the park. I recognize that many of the smaller interior lakes are often still frozen over this early in the year, but I'm wondering if you guys think this might be different this year with the relatively light winter and warm weather we are having now.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

3/09/2016 2:05 pm  #2

Re: Early Spring Trout Lakes

Good luck getting fishing information online! . Check out my trip report, blog posts and YouTube videos for hidden secrets.  General advice?  Check Jeff's map for lakes with your target fish species and head as far interior as possible.

3/09/2016 10:58 pm  #3

On the contrary I think the smaller lakes become ice-free first, others can correct me on that, but in any case for the last few years they haven't let anyone into the backcountry during the thaw until basically all lakes are ice-free. The dates you're naming were still before ice-out last couple of years but will probably be post ice-out this year.

This forum has a rule against discussing the trout fishing in unstocked lakes <60 ha, and specific hotspots in larger lakes, and as MSR suggests a lot of people don't like to share their fishing secrets online anyway. One way to get a rough idea of where the good trout fishing is is to read the results of the 2009-2012 backcountry trout fishing surveys: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/fishing-in-algonquin-park.php#fish_survey But don't take it as gospel since it's just voluntary responses from people of various abilities, not a scientific process. 2009 has the most data.

3/10/2016 10:26 am  #4

Another useful resource is the stocking list: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/fishstocking.pdf

I'll be really surprised if ice out is later than the end of March this year. The real impact that would have is that you might want to plan on using some lead core or other deeper water techniques that you would normally use later in the season if you're targeting lake trout.

My go list of trout lures is here: http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/Fishing/FavouriteTroutLures.php 

3/10/2016 12:45 pm  #5

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I realize that most people aren't too excited about giving out their hot spots, but even general information is great. As I said before I've only been to Algonquin once, so I don't know if there are particular advantages of one section of the park over another. I have just placed an order for all four of Jeff's Maps so hopefully these will help in my planning.

I will also explore all of the webpages that have been recommended. Thanks for those.

3/10/2016 5:23 pm  #6

sunday lake and sproule lake are not bad,,, coon lake , bike pathway towards speckle trout lake near rock lake campgrounds, all put and take lakes, fisher lake ,cloud lake, bluff lake, with these stocked lakes, at least you have a idea of yearly stocking goals. unlike the interior lakes (outta public sight ), these once good lakes are under attack 24/7 with no limits on ice fishing. you really have work !! especially in the north west sections, mattawa and powasson regions.

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/11/2016 10:26 am)

3/11/2016 8:38 am  #7

If you want to talk broadly about sections of the park for canoe tripping, I'll start, though others who know better than I can correct or add... it seems like the area generally north and northwest of Opeongo and extending towards Brent has some of the top trout lakes, as you'd probably guess by its remoteness. More accessibly, there's some good lake trout fishing when you get a couple of portages south of Highway 60... the chain of lakes from east of Big Porcupine almost to Head and south into Louisa has good numbers of modestly-sized lake trout. South of Louisa you have some good brook trout lakes; 3 of the lakes have special size restrictions so check the regs.

If the west end of the park (Kearney area access points) is where you want to start, there are several rivers in that area that produce lots of brook trout. Actually most of the park's rivers that are major enough to form long sections of canoe route would have brookie holes.

Might as well say that Dickson and Lavielle are the most famous trout lakes in the park, and as such the Dickson-Crow loop is a classic for trout fishing; but we've had discussion on this forum about the trout decline in Dickson Lake, plus both lakes have had algae blooms in both of the last two summers (effects unclear), so you'd have to ask yourself whether it's worth the Opeongo water taxi plus the 5+ km portage.

As a general rule of thumb, the best trout lakes are lakes that don't have any of the non-trout species that would be shown on Jeff's map. Except that some lakes with bass in them can still have good lake trout; usually not so much brook trout.

One thing about the stocked options is that it seems to me the majority of stocked brookie lakes in the park are "day trip" lakes -- i.e. they're close to the highway, but don't have campsites. Whereas many of the stocked splake lakes do have canoe-in campsites, including sunday and sproule as mentioned above.

3/11/2016 9:57 am  #8

RCS... 

"I'm wondering if you guys think this might be different this year with the relatively light winter and warm weather we are having now." 

A thermometer might help determine whether you're there at the right time... sometimes the catch will be poor one week and then returning next week, much better... cooling or warming water could be one of the reasons but not a sure thing all on it's own. Trout in theory should feed most heavily in water that's at their preferred temperature range... for lake trout, about 9-11C and brook trout, about 11-16C. I've caught lake trout by casting to woody structure in the shoreline shallows with surface water at 15C, so again, preferred temps are not a sure thing, but may be some theory to help explain why they aren't biting (and, reversed, maybe an explanation why they are). 

Trout might be too cold and slow to react to lures when fishing in cold water at about 5C, and if surface water warms up past 20C, trout will be deep and deep trolling will be necessary. Early in the season, and if you are in the sweet spot in time as far as surface temps go, you can troll near shore at about 5-10 feet deep and be reasonably sure that you're fishing where the trout should be... in theory, anyway. Don't forget to cast to woody shoreline structure, fallen trees, sunken logs... good luck.    

3/11/2016 12:44 pm  #9

Completely agree with Dan, those smaller lakes will be ice free much earlier than the larger lakes. That is the standard pattern. You can check progress via the noaa great lakes satellite imagery. This year I think ice out in general will be early once again. I live near lake simcoe, it will be ice free in two weeks.

For fishing tips, lakers prefer water from 48-52 degrees F., In winter, they can go anywhere, but the depths are continually losing oxygen. With ice out, they have cold water and lots of oxygen, so they put on the feedbag. The limiting factor the first few weeks will be forage. So its not really that they are deep or shallow, they are where the food is. If the lake is a cisoe lake, they are often out over deep water, but from the surface down to 20 feet or so (keep in mind that there are always fish deeper, but the ones that are shallower, are more aggressive and feeding). On lakes without larger, deep water forage, lakers will prey on minnows, and insects. So think south facing shorelines with access to deep water, as well as any reefs with large boulders or dark bottoms. The key there is the water will heat up faster and more prey will be there, hence more lakers. It may seem like it would not make much difference, but it really does. The other big spring thing is the mouths of rivers or creeks. Lakers will stage and hold off the deepest break, and feed on suckers as they move up the creeks to spawn. Lots of fish can be caught just by trolling minnow baits like original raps, (natural and my fav, perch), Jointed raps work well also, orange is a also a good colour, especially in the jointed versions. You can use any minnow bait you like, I have found over the years that original raps, countdowns and husky jerks produce better results than some others. Don't forget vertical jigging. Use the same lures you would use ice fishing. White tubes are killer, as are spoons, like williams, cleos etc, Of course you can also troll those. Mooselooks and other flutter spoons are also great trolled, using snap weights to get down. Last year my canoe partner and I outfished everyone else on our trip vertically jigging bucktail jigs....I'll be experimenting with some vibrados this year...they are killer through the ice

Really, if you are on a good lake, you will catch fish and can use almost any presentation you like. 

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.