You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2016 8:12 pm  #188

Re: Are predictions for ice-out starting yet?

You could camp at Rock Lake and day trip down into Pen and Clydegale. The forecast is looking nice enough that you might catch something. Probably too cold for the Brookies yet but the Lakers should biting. 

4/27/2016 8:55 pm  #189

Yeah I didn't get "the call" since I hadn't actually booked anything, but I was planning to go out this weekend. My vacation is pretty flexible but the rest of my weekends are spoken for until the two four, which falls late this year so I'll have to go then and take my chances with the black flies.

kellycamps wrote:

First, just let me say " Waaaaaaaaaa, sob, sniff".
Ok! Now I have that off my chest, I'm going to re book for next w/e. A question for the more experienced anglers....... Is it worth it to go up this w/e and fish along the Hwy 60 corridor? I don't mind a night of car camping if that's all there is. Dying to get out and stretch the canoe along Algonquin waters

Many of the park's stocked brookie and splake lakes are just a portage away from the road, as are two of the specially managed natural brookie lakes. Some of the main corridor lakes are still decent for lakers, which are not nearly as impacted by bass infestation as brookies. Just comes down to what's thawed, of course. 

4/28/2016 4:01 am  #190

On the on-line reservation service it is still showing all lakes green for May 1st? Even lakes that have people booked already are showing for example Louisa has 15/19 available the night of the first?

Last edited by token (4/28/2016 4:01 am)

4/28/2016 5:24 am  #191

The forecast looks great.  I suspect it will be open by this weekend, but I've been WAY off in my predictions so far!  Looks like my rescheduled date of May 6 may be good timing.

4/28/2016 6:08 am  #192

But now that they've pulled the trigger and announced the delay to the point of calling up everyone with reservations,  would they really turn around and undo that decision? According to the website, one of the reasons this decision was made was that conditions on the ground are inconsistent with the satellite imagery. Thus the planned flyover on the 2nd. At this point, I can't see them changing anything until that flight is complete.

I'm also delaying until the 6th, but I sure wish I lived closer to the Park so I could just do a daytrip even. Oh well, waited this long, 1 more week shouldn't kill me . . . I don't think.

4/28/2016 6:17 am  #193

I asked a few questions when they called yesterday and what I was told was that the flyover isn't until Monday the 2nd and until the flyover happened they couldn't verify if the lakes were ice free and there would be no permits issued. The only placed you can camp are the car camping sites. I asked about small lakes south of Hwy 60 and was  told that you can't camp anywhere that was considered backcountry including the corridor. I think at the earliest it will be Monday afternoon before they issue permits.

4/28/2016 6:35 am  #194

ahubbs wrote:

The only placed you can camp are the car camping sites.

The way I read the update, the Highway 60 backpacking trails are open to camping.

4/28/2016 7:13 am  #195

Yes sorry, I think you are right. Too focused on my own agenda I guess, they did say the hiking trails were open I didn't realize there were sites associated with them.

4/28/2016 7:19 am  #196

Well in theory, if you wanted to be a canoe tripping renegade and you were confident that certain lakes are passable, you could book a backpacking site on a lake that's also on a canoe route, and get to it by canoe. Like Provoking, Head, Harness, or any of a bunch of obscure little lakes along the Western Uplands.

I mean the kind of renegade that doesn't actually break any rules but likes loopholes and risky conditions.

4/28/2016 7:19 am  #197

It almost feels like they cancelled this weekend prematurely. Yesterday's satellite image really makes it look like ice-out could happen today or tomorrow easily. 

4/28/2016 7:36 am  #198

I think the problem is that they won't rely on satellite imagery the will only open once the flyover is done, it's scheduled for the 2nd. I agree though I bet the ice will be gone by Saturday if not sooner.

4/28/2016 1:10 pm  #199

Today's satellite image:

4/28/2016 1:32 pm  #200

Lots of ice on Opeongo still and from the Friends of Algonquin pictures on Facebook from today the same is still true for Smoke, Cache, Lake of Two Rivers, Canoe, etc. 

There was an interesting contrast between the 2 pictures yesterday. The 'crisper' picture looked like a lot more lakes were open, but the contrast in the 'fuzzier' picture showed that there was a lot more ice left. By this point I think there is a decent chance that official ice out by either the Canoe Lake or the Opeongo standard won't happen until May 1st or later. 

4/28/2016 4:23 pm  #201

Kiosk Lake, April 28

4/28/2016 7:16 pm  #202

A few photos from this morning of Smoke and Canoe Lake.

https://wabooseadventures.com/2016/04/28/algonquin-a-short-visit/

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

4/29/2016 1:32 pm  #203

Gidday

I just listened to a voice mail telling me that my Reservation for May 4th is not valid as it is not opening until May 6th. I wonder if it is because I was supposed to be heading in at cedar and beyond?  I just saw a picture of the Brent Rd....still snow covered!

4/29/2016 1:45 pm  #204

I called Killarney today and they said ice is for sure off Bell Lake and George was assumed to be out early this morning and definitely is by now. She said no matter what they issue permits the day of ice out. Killarney here we come for four days on Sunday!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.