Offline
HI guys. Does anyone have insight on Stephen Lake? Points of interest, site location , does the site still exist etc? Not much found online. TIA
Offline
I had to look this up on my verrrry old Algonquin map. North of Big Bob? ![]()
Yikes, that's a heck of a slog, icky portages, possibly low water, etc.
Ha, I have no memory of the portage from Indian Pipe to West Koko Pond.
Barbara
Last edited by Barbara (7/29/2024 1:28 pm)
Offline
We're thinking destination Big Bob but just wondering if the push to Stephen is worth it. Only due to the fact we have a Stephen in our group LOL!
Offline
Finally got around to this. We stayed on Big Bob 2 weeks ago and tripped up to Stephen Lake for lunch. I'll answer my own question above as to if it's worth the push. It is most definitely not worth it. The paddle itself was OK. Portages are not too bad but as a destination campsite it leaves more than a little to be desired . Not sure I've been to a worse campsite. From the landing to the overall condition of the site it's very poor and extremely small and over grown. An uprooted tree adjacent to the firepit doesn't help. I'm not even sure there's a decent spot for a tent. All the bad aside, it did have a relatively recent Thunderbox . If privacy outweighs comfort this may be the site for you. We didn't have much time to explore Mujikiwis to but I did mange to have a look at the campsite near the portage to Stephen. It too was not much not much to peak of but was better than the Stephen site. Very basic but well protected with a very steep scramble from the water up to the campsite. Both looked not to have been used in quite some time.