You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2023 5:47 pm  #1

Smoke Lake to Rock Lake with my daughter

I’m way behind on my trip reports. They’re all written, but the formatting and publishing keeps getting pushed back by life.  This one, however, is ready to go! This was a mid august two nighter with my daughter. We did a point to point trip, staying on Bonnechere night one and Louisa night two. It was a great route and a great trip. You can read about it here:

https://allofalgonquin.com/2023/11/05/rocking-algonquin-smoke-lake-to-rock-lake-with-my-daughter/

Drew

11/06/2023 7:41 pm  #2

Re: Smoke Lake to Rock Lake with my daughter

The best thing about smoke lake is when it's over LOL. Great report.  Thank you.

11/07/2023 7:43 am  #3

I read this on your site yesterday!
Gave me squishy feelings inside seeing how happy your daughter was to be with you out in the backcountry.
It's great to see our kids enjoying what we enjoy; my daughter recently completed a backpacking trip on the highland trail! And though my knees are shot and I'm in my 60's now she's really trying to get me to do one more backcountry trip with her!
Your trip report has softened my stance on that.
Thanks!

11/07/2023 9:05 am  #4

Great report - thanks for the effort, Drew.

11/07/2023 9:08 am  #5

Well, first off, your daughter is a real gamer, so well done to her!  This trip was no doubt another moment (in a long list of moments) in which you were reminded how glad you are to be a dad.  

Second, and this is important, you'll want to commit this to memory.  My family did "The Alphabet Game", but we played it one topic at a time.  So, maybe animal one round, fruit/vegetable another round (quince fruit - you'll need to remember that), movie titles, characters, occupations, locations, colors (good luck with that one) all kinds of things, but of course, it all started with animals.  Ready?  X-ray fish.  (Specifically "X-ray tetra, but the judges will accept X-ray fish.)  X was such a difficult letter in ALL of our versions of this game that X-ray fish became the accepted response for X no matter what the topic was.

11/07/2023 10:24 am  #6

Oh, these years are precious! It took me back to the mid-90's and my first backcountry trips with my son, specially your paddles down Smoke and across Louisa! And, those 4000x3000 pixel photo files really scale so well in the browsers .. really high definition!

11/07/2023 10:29 am  #7

Great write up Drew!  I am also a sucker for lakeside rock walls, if you haven't spent any time there you should check out Killarney PP for much more of the same plus some very cool mixes of granite and quartzite. Great to see you guys having a perfect trip. My eldest did a solo and a w/friend trip in APP this summer and I didn't get invited. Great to see the independence and I had to console myself over no longer being needed by enjoying the pictures and stories (and also a few trips of my own with the rest of the family). You tricked me at the end with "Map Courtesy of Unlostify Maps" - I was pretty quick to click the link just in case. I'm guessing you either have an early release or just giving credit where due.

11/08/2023 9:15 pm  #8

Thanks for all the kind words. It was a really great experience, and I'm glad that she seems to be liking tripping as much as she is. Little does she know this is all in support of my long-term plan to find someone else who can carry the canoe on portages.

@MWD, thank you for x-ray fish. That's going to get heavy rotation I think.
@barry, glad to hear the photos scale well in the browsers. Truthfully, I know very little about photos and how they show up on websites. Fortunately Apple and Photoshop have figured out how to work together and make my pictures come out decently.
@Gord, sorry for the head fake on the map! Jeff was kind enough to let me use a couple of screenshots from the upcoming map for these reports. I'm beyond excited to see the final version in print. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.