You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2023 1:00 pm  #18

Re: Operating Dates vs. Reservable Dates

Rob wrote:

Bampot wrote:

Can you clarify which areas specifically in the area of Ragged, Parkside, Bay, and Big Porcupine are worth camping at between Dec 1 and Mar 31? Thanks.

All of them depending on how far you want to go. What you are looking for, skill levels, experience etcetera.

The same could be said for any other area of Algonquin's backcountry - so I am perplexed why the area "south of Smoke Lake" was specifically identified as a great location to camp at between Dec 1 and Mar 31. I am familiar with the area and its developed campsites, but assumed there were specific areas here ideally suited for "winter camping". By the sounds of it, there is nothing unique about this location compared to any other for winter camping.

10/25/2023 5:55 pm  #19

first question was where to get a permit for nov 1,, now you want to winter camp???  game changer my friend,
   go to the air field at mew for a winter camping experiencs

10/26/2023 7:40 am  #20

Regarding camping locations between Dec 1 and Mar 31, Jeff said: "The nice thing is that opens up all sorts of additional locations to camp that you couldn't otherwise use."

I asked for examples of such locations, and you mentioned south of Smoke Lake. Perhaps just a case of misunderstanding.

10/26/2023 12:19 pm  #21

Whoops, I missed your reply @Bampot.

Re: Dec 1 - March 31: We camped on Longspur once for example. We took the portage to Jack Lake and then headed through the bush from there.

Last edited by jeffreym (10/26/2023 12:20 pm)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

10/26/2023 2:44 pm  #22

jeffreym wrote:

Whoops, I missed your reply @Bampot.

Re: Dec 1 - March 31: We camped on Longspur once for example. We took the portage to Jack Lake and then headed through the bush from there.

No need to apologize! Thanks for the response. Looks like a beautiful lake from some photos I have seen.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.