You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2023 12:11 pm  #18

Re: Bug Report?

Lenny wrote:

Going to not be soft and do go regardless of bugs and weather. Weather for brent doesn't look great but I don't think it will be warm enough for the bugs to be too bad. Famous last words.

we enter through K-Mog this Friday for a four day loop, I am hoping you are right!

5/18/2023 11:31 am  #19

Thanks for the updates all.

Still no report on The Weather Network.  Still too early perhaps. 
All the rain this weekend and warmer temps should have them out in force next week I imagine. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

5/19/2023 12:22 am  #20

I just came back from a trip Mon-Thurs, 15-18. First time in 30 years of Algonquin camping that I actually stayed in a campground. My creaky knees were kinda glad given the chilly weather, Tue night went down to -2C with a light dusting of snow. Wed night - 1C. I did day trip fishing trips, portaged into different lakes each day.

Cold must have put the biting insects into a deep freeze. I would rate them as basically insignificant, your mileage may vary...

I brought bug hat, bug jacket, bug spray, bug zapper rackets, didn't need any of them.

5/19/2023 12:07 pm  #21

Music to my ears! Thanks for sharing.Hope you had a good trip

5/19/2023 12:56 pm  #22

The only year I can recall encountering lots of biting blackflies on the May long weekend was a year where we had an early spring.   That certainly wasn't the case this year!

5/19/2023 6:16 pm  #23

They are alive and well in Huntsville, I can tell ya that.

Was stacking wood this afternoon and the black flies were buzzing around me like sawdust blown from a power saw.

5/21/2023 11:35 am  #24

I just got home from the park late last night.  I was in for a week.  The weather turned cool and windy while I was there.  I didn't wear bug dope at all during that time.  When I left yesterday, it was probably the first day that I could say that "maybe" I could've used some bug spray on the portages.

5/23/2023 9:24 am  #25

Got out from Brent area yesterday. Only time blackflies were bad was loading the canoe around 1pm and the were annoying not biting during the afternoon heat sunday. Good trip overall, only a 2 nighter but some nice lakers and small brookies were caught. 

5/23/2023 1:59 pm  #26

Lenny, did you get a chance to drop down to the Brent Store? Wondering if Jake is still there and how they are handling canoe rentals.  Hope they weathered all of the Covid crap and are doing well and open for business.

5/23/2023 3:47 pm  #27

No I didn't. Have enjoyed speaking with him in the past. Would love for him to write a book about the park although I doubt he'd ever want to reveal his fishing holes. 

Last edited by Lenny (5/23/2023 3:48 pm)

5/23/2023 5:11 pm  #28

Yeah, It was always a great time having conversations with Jake in prior years and I agree he would be a great author for a book on Brent and surrounding area. A great guy who has a wealth of history under his belt fer sure!  Hope he's still doing well.  We have a rental scheduled later this season but sounds like a completely different "hook up" to get the rental.  

5/28/2023 7:51 pm  #29

waiting for the dragon fly effects to kick in,,,  this heat and the dragons will help slay da black flies,,

6/08/2023 11:37 am  #30

Just got back on Sunday.  Bugs are definitely out and I have the bites to prove is lol.  There was some dragon flies but not enough. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

6/21/2023 8:01 am  #31

Looking to head up next weekend. Are we in full bug jacket, leather gloves, thermacell season or have things been a little tamer this year with the drought? 

6/23/2023 6:55 am  #32

just got back last night, mossies are out at dusk and dawn, but not a blackfly to be seen. Of course with the demise in the blackfly attack squadrons, mother nature has launched her heavy bombers- stable flies and deer flies have started their assaults, but they're not tooo baad yet.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.