You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2023 8:40 am  #1

Bug Report?

Is it just me or is it not on The Weather Network site?  Also are there any first hand updates lol. 

Thanks

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

5/11/2023 1:13 pm  #2

Re: Bug Report?

Given the heat this week, my experience may not be relevant.  

I spent last Thursday to Saturday in the south end of the park out of the Smoke Lake Access and I did not see one blackfly.  Had a couple of mosquitos buzzing around but nothing bothersome.

I'm sure that the blackflies are out now.

Last edited by Guyute (5/11/2023 1:16 pm)

5/11/2023 2:31 pm  #3

I was in upstate NY last weekend and the blackflies were hatched but not aggressively biting.  I expect AP is a good week or two behind based on latitude.  That said, I recommend bringing DEET...never be unprepared for bugs.

5/11/2023 3:27 pm  #4

A few friends were up on the weekend, not sure if they were in Algonquin or not, but they said the black flies were out but not biting just yet. 
Based on the forecast, they'll be nibbling this weekend. 

5/11/2023 3:31 pm  #5

I came back Tuesday from a North Tea/Biggar/Three Mile loop and had a few mosquitoes around but no black flies. With these warm temperatures I expect they'll be out very soon though.

5/12/2023 6:32 am  #6

Deleted

Last edited by andrewr0520 (5/12/2023 6:33 am)

5/12/2023 8:13 am  #7

Just back from a week in AP.  Proulx/Bonfield loop.  One black fly bite on our last day (Wednesday).  They are out and should be in fine form by the weekend.  Sorry!

If life gives you lemons, go fishing.

5/12/2023 8:52 am  #8

Thanks all.  I don't go until the first weekend in June, which will no doubt be worse than this weekend lol.  

Last edited by BB (5/12/2023 8:55 am)

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

5/12/2023 9:13 am  #9

Bug report from south of Bancroft yesterday was that the black flies were out in full force already. It also happened to be 27C yesterday. 

5/12/2023 9:17 am  #10

BB wrote:

Thanks all.  I don't go until the first weekend in June, which will no doubt be worse than this weekend lol.  

I'll be just North of 17 the first week of June, hopefully I don't get carried away. 

5/12/2023 10:59 am  #11

BB, you will likely be assaulted by insects.  Between the skeeters and the black flies, I would make plans for all means of defense:  DEET, long sleeves, bug jacket, headnet, smoky fire, exposed point sites, etc.

Maybe donate blood before leaving...just to get in the mood for the trip.

5/12/2023 3:15 pm  #12

Having some second thoughts about going on the long weekend. Will likely be peak blackfly season. 

5/12/2023 3:31 pm  #13

Nemo Bugout. Fantastic product.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/13/2023 9:15 am  #14

Just got back from a week long loop around the park.. blackflies started on thurs morning in the north side, swarming bad yesterday in certain areas

5/16/2023 12:43 pm  #15

Keeping an eye on the bug and weather forecast for Brent area. Too much to do at home to justify fighting with bugs and rain this weekend as much as I'd like to. 

5/16/2023 2:09 pm  #16

Like ATVenture I was in Monday to Friday last week  (May 8th - 12th) on a trip out of Canoe Lake (My first for the area).  Blackflies began to appear Wednesday afternoon for me. Light head circling and the odd bite appeared Thursday afternoon.

I did manage Vanishing Pond/Creek before it dried up for the summer!

5/17/2023 11:12 am  #17

Going to not be soft and do go regardless of bugs and weather. Weather for brent doesn't look great but I don't think it will be warm enough for the bugs to be too bad. Famous last words.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.