You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2023 9:23 pm  #1

Algonquin First Timer

Considering taking a friend  Interior  camping in July. They've never been to Algonquin.  I'm partial  to the west side due to ease of access but with it being their first time I think a 60 corridor  trip is in order. Interested in what others would consider the quintessential Algonquin  interior route? 2 to 3 nights. TIA.

4/28/2023 11:10 pm  #2

Re: Algonquin First Timer

Last year I took a first timer on a trip and I really liked our route.  He's an experienced camper for sure, just hikes rather than canoes.

Day 1 - magnetawan to queer via Ralph Bice.  Day 2 - queen to misty (the long portage is flat)  Day 3 - misty to daisy.  Day 4 - daisy, out. 

It was enough to keep us busy but also give us plenty of time in camp.  It exposed him to some larger lakes, some smaller lakes, some river travel including a couple dam pullovers, and a mixed bag of portage lengths but nothing particularly difficult.

4/28/2023 11:12 pm  #3

Louisa loop is a classic 2-3 nighter and a staple area of the park.  To me, that’s the definition of a great first timers trip.

Sunbeam loop.

Harness loop, although lots of portaging.

Ragged/Parkside bay loop.

Maple/Erables loop out of Kiosk.

Manitou loop out of Kiosk.

Little trout /queer/Bice loop

Or some out and backs like a tour of North Tea, Rosebary and Tim lake area, a Daisy/Misty/Daisy type trip.

It all depends on your friends interest in travel times.  If they aren’t a regular paddler, I’d keep the days around 12km max.

4/29/2023 8:11 am  #4

Sunbeam Loop kinda interests me. As much as I dislike  leaving outta Canoe Lake it does have that classic Algonquin  vibe. Also with the history  in the area there is some cool things to see.  I've never been to the cemetery  at Mowat so this might be the ticket with some points of interest  to take in as well. Looking forward  to more ideas.

4/29/2023 8:16 am  #5

Farm - Booth and back. Don't burn a newb with a long port. Plenty to explore from Booth on day 2.

4/29/2023 8:20 am  #6

I don't see why you would think that the hwy 60 corridor is the most suitable?

4/29/2023 8:46 am  #7

rgcmce wrote:

Mostly to see the sights that the general public have come to associate with Algonquin Park.The West Gate. The scenic drive along 60. Canoe Lake. LOTR ETC. Literally  a first timer. I just think access from a more obscure access point is great for the seasoned vet but maybe less enticing to someone never having experienced hwy 60. I still get excited when driving the corridor and seeing the flag at the west gate come into view or the float plane docked in Hanger Bay. It may not be the most serene back country experience but it's where it all began IMO. I always try to go somewhere  I've never been and see new spots.  But this trip won't be so much about me.

4/29/2023 10:05 am  #8

Shayne74 wrote:

Sunbeam Loop kinda interests me. As much as I dislike  leaving outta Canoe Lake it does have that classic Algonquin  vibe. Also with the history  in the area there is some cool things to see.  I've never been to the cemetery  at Mowat so this might be the ticket with some points of interest  to take in as well. Looking forward  to more ideas.

If you can leave on a Tuesday/Wednesday it won’t be as hectic at Canoe. 

You could head up Potters creek through the old town, Brule has a nice cliff site.

Then head up to Misty/Timberwolf/Mcintosh area.  Last night camp on Tom Thomson or another lake in the area.  Not too much travel, flat portages, lots of history etc.  You would have lots of time to go visit the cemetery on your way in or out.

4/29/2023 12:12 pm  #9

TripperMike wrote:

Shayne74 wrote:

If you can leave on a Tuesday/Wednesday it won’t be as hectic at Canoe. 

You could head up Potters creek through the old town, Brule has a nice cliff site.

Then head up to Misty/Timberwolf/Mcintosh area.  Last night camp on Tom Thomson or another lake in the area.  Not too much travel, flat portages, lots of history etc.  You would have lots of time to go visit the cemetery on your way in or out.

Yeah I've stayed on that Brule  site. Its a great spot for sure. This sounds like a good option to think about as well.

4/29/2023 2:55 pm  #10

Shayne74 wrote:

rgcmce wrote:

Mostly to see the sights that the general public have come to associate with Algonquin Park.The West Gate. The scenic drive along 60. Canoe Lake. LOTR ETC. Literally a first timer. I just think access from a more obscure access point is great for the seasoned vet but maybe less enticing to someone never having experienced hwy 60. I still get excited when driving the corridor and seeing the flag at the west gate come into view or the float plane docked in Hanger Bay. It may not be the most serene back country experience but it's where it all began IMO. I always try to go somewhere I've never been and see new spots. But this trip won't be so much about me.

I don't see it myself; the corridor is so overrun and beaten to death.  But we're all different with different tastes and viewpoints.

4/29/2023 7:28 pm  #11

rgcmce wrote:

Shayne74 wrote:

rgcmce wrote:

Mostly to see the sights that the general public have come to associate with Algonquin Park.The West Gate. The scenic drive along 60. Canoe Lake. LOTR ETC. Literally a first timer. I just think access from a more obscure access point is great for the seasoned vet but maybe less enticing to someone never having experienced hwy 60. I still get excited when driving the corridor and seeing the flag at the west gate come into view or the float plane docked in Hanger Bay. It may not be the most serene back country experience but it's where it all began IMO. I always try to go somewhere I've never been and see new spots. But this trip won't be so much about me.

I don't see it myself; the corridor is so overrun and beaten to death.  But we're all different with different tastes and viewpoints.

Oh I agree 100%. I've been to many different  areas  to get away from the crowds and chaos. I just think there's something  sentimental  entering through the east or west gate vs a remote logging road alternative  access point  like 1B or more Obscure. I still enjoy grabbing a burger and beer at the Portage store and watching  the comedy that is canoe rentals lmao.

4/30/2023 11:17 am  #12

I like Scratchy's Farm->Booth idea.  You can still go through the park to get there, but Booth is one of my favorite lakes so I'm biased.

Another suggestion would be Cache -> Head and base camp there.  The longer portage is super easy, but far enough to ward off weekend warriors and feel remote.  The falls is pretty there too.

If you wanted the west side, Rain->McCraney->Islet-> Rain with 2 nights wherever you want is my go-to.  Easy portages, and good looking lakes.  Lots of moose in that area too.

Regardless, my usual policy is to make sure the food is good on a 1st time trip.  Some of my favorite memories in the park are sitting under a tarp with cold rain and a warm meal.

4/30/2023 4:44 pm  #13

rgcmce wrote:

Yes, that's why we generally use the northern access points.  However, the highway 60 corridor does offer easier access to the deep interior (Big Trout, Hogan, Burntroot, etc.) than starting from Kiosk or Cedar.  The car shuttle is also a lot easier between any two access points on highway 60 than say Kiosk and Brent.  The water taxi on Opeongo also helps get you deep into the interior quickly.

5/02/2023 4:11 pm  #14

we took in a couple last summer. They were VERY cautious and nervous. They had never been paddling and had obviously never "camped" outside of a canadian tire style drive into a 15x15 lot in a provincial park with your car beside you.

A few key things I took into this trip:
- small water so wind wouldn't be as big as an issue as it could be on bigger water
- close to put in incase of emergency to get out
- possibly still within cell range

But I wanted to give them the best experience I could. This meant atleast a small portage to get atleast somewhat "remote" if not by distance atleast by feel.

We put in #4 Rain Lake and went down the lake and portaged to Sawyer and stayed there for two nights. It actually was a perfect trip. Although to me it felt like it wasn't even time yet for a snack break, we had reached our destination. The lake was great, we were swimming all day. I got a leech on my foot lol. At the end of it all, they both said what an amazing time they had and how they can't wait to go next year on a bigger trip.

I brought my canoe and we rented a canoe for them in Kearney, so we got to avoid the whole show at Canoe etc. 

I take this approach with whoever new we are going in with. I ask what they want to accomplish and what will make them feel safe. Then assess their skillset and plan something to fit so everyone has a good time. If someone is pushed too hard, is miserable, is not comfortable, they likely wont return. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.