You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2023 2:52 pm  #1

Ultimate 2 person tent for canoeing/portaging

Hi folks,
I've got a 10yr old MEC Camper 4 which I adore.  It's very water resistant, only has 2 aluminum poles, and has tons of room.  Doors on both sides so if I need to go to the bathroom I'm not crawling over people.  Can easily accommodate 3-4 people, and I usually have only 2 people in it.

The 1 drawback is that it's relatively bulky, and relatively heavy (clokcing in at 3.75kg).  Seeing as I've got a bit of $$ stashed away for camping upgrades, I'm wondering if there's a tent out there that's significant weight/bulk savings without compromising the ability to have 2 grown humans in it comfortably.

The best I've found so far is the MSR Hubba Hubba, but this thing costs 3x as much as my canoe did.  I'm willing to carry a lot of weight in order to save that much $$.

What's your solution to this cost:weight:size paradox?

3/30/2023 3:38 pm  #2

Re: Ultimate 2 person tent for canoeing/portaging

I'm still stuck on "Wait, he got a canoe for under $250????"

I have an MSR Mutha Hubba and I like it as a comfortable 2 person tent. My $0.02 is that it's worth spending the money on the MSR tent. 

* Note that it looks like MSR might have updated their naming and is calling the 1, 2, and 3 person versions all Hubba Hubba now. When I got mine the (nominal) 3-person version was the Mutha Hubba and the Hubba Hubba was specifically the (nominal) 2 person version. 

3/30/2023 3:55 pm  #3

This guy has a brand new Hubba Hubba for sale. Brampton. Looks like you are in Hamilton. So what an hr drive? Sounds like he would take $500. Not bad if it is brand new for an $800 plus tax tent.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/mississauga-peel-region/msr-hubba-hubba-3/1653969517

Last edited by ShawnD (3/30/2023 3:58 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/30/2023 6:09 pm  #4

Tarptent Scarp II.

3/30/2023 8:19 pm  #5

I’ve own 6 different TarpTents. If you were to go with one of their outstanding tents I would size up to the Hogback. Only slightly more expensive and heavier than the Scarp 2. 

With exchange, shipping and duty you aren’t getting into either for less than a fully priced Hubba Hubba though.

Last edited by ShawnD (3/30/2023 8:22 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

3/31/2023 10:09 am  #6

ShawnD wrote:

I’ve own 6 different TarpTents. If you were to go with one of their outstanding tents I would size up to the Hogback. Only slightly more expensive and heavier than the Scarp 2.

With exchange, shipping and duty you aren’t getting into either for less than a fully priced Hubba Hubba though.

I really like the look and design of this.  Seems to check every box for me.
Is there a steep learning curve on setup?  I like the simplicity of my current tent, but am willing to learn if it's saves my back a bunch of weight (like this one would).  The video makes it look pretty quick and easy, but I know those can be deceiving.  

RobW wrote:

It's not a great canoe, but it gets me from A to B happily.

3/31/2023 10:37 am  #7

The Hogback really is a great tent. the set up video is accurate.. no real issues Ian.
The tent weathered the worst backcountry storm I have every been in. My son had to abandon the hammock he was in and slide in with my wife and daughter. Tent held its ground all night in extreme winds and rain.. without the optional cross pole too.
It's a palace for 2 or 2 and dog.  3 men will work. I wouldn't put 4 decent sized adults in it.
Only knock is it has small vestibules as its designed for backpacking ( hence the 4 lb weight) but if you only have 2 people in it . Lots of room inside for gear.

These reviews give more info than I ever could.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Tarptent%20Hogback%20Tent/Test%20Report%20by%20Richard%20Lyon/
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Tarptent%20Hogback%20Tent/Test%20Report%20by%20Jerry%20Goller/

It isn't cheap though Ian with exchange and duty. If you want to try before you buy happy to lend you mine for a trip this year. Just PM me.  It will likely only be on 1 trip this year .. late July to early Aug. I'm in Barrie if you pass that way to AP.

Cheers

4/01/2023 1:01 pm  #8

For trips that I bring someone along with me I use the Eureka Midori 3.  It has two vestibules, and the price is reasonable.  Certainly lighter tents out there, but I like Eureka’s price point.  They do make the Suma which is the lighter weight single vestibule option.  I have the two person version which I use when solo.

4/02/2023 9:04 pm  #9

I've heard from a few folks the newer MSR tents are having issues with floor and seam leaks. 

Would also recommend the Eureka Midori for price point and quality while still being relatively light.  I've also heard good reviews of Nemo tents, but haven't used one myself. 

4/02/2023 9:23 pm  #10

RobW wrote:

I have an MSR Mutha Hubba and I like it as a comfortable 2 person tent. My $0.02 is that it's worth spending the money on the MSR tent. 

* Note that it looks like MSR might have updated their naming and is calling the 1, 2, and 3 person versions all Hubba Hubba now. When I got mine the (nominal) 3-person version was the Mutha Hubba and the Hubba Hubba was specifically the (nominal) 2 person version. 

I have a Mutha Hubba tent from 2007/2008 that was used for numerous backpacking, car camping and canoeing  trips. It survived scorching sun, biting cold, insanely heavy winds and torrential downpours unscathed until the 12 year mark when the fly began to flake in spots (mostly by the seams) and a tiny bit of water came in during heavy rain storms. Needless to say, this quickly went from bad to worse. I contacted MSR for the off-chance a replacement fly was available but they never bothered to respond. As a result, we replaced it with a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 and love the tent, aside from the annoying fact that the poles don't fold down as compactly as our old Mutha Hubba's did. The extra pockets, gear lofts and head space are a huge plus over the MH, but truth be told I really miss my old tent and its design. Price points are about the same. The way I look at it, getting another 12+ years out of our new tent equates to less than $75 a year, or roughly $5 each night spent in it.

Last edited by hiker72 (4/02/2023 9:25 pm)

4/04/2023 12:04 pm  #11

Thanks for all the great ideas gang,

Right now the Tarptents are the frontrunners for me.  They offer the greatest weight savings while still offering the best floorspace.  

The only other option that I'm considering is getting 2 smaller tents that can be divided between packs.  Might be individually cheaper and more versatile than an ultralight 2/3-person tent.

After spending all-too-much time on outdoor equipment websites I'm wondering if I'm focusing on weight too much and should just learn to love double portaging instead (never!  Just sweat more and stop complaining Ian!).

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.