You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2016 1:01 pm  #18

Re: Algonquin May Trip

When I backpacked in the national parks in California in the 1980's, I was told to use the counterbalancing method for hanging our food.   This page http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bearhang.htm describes it.  The advantage of this method was that it did not leave a rope tied off at ground level.   However, I see that even this method can be defeated by some bears.   I think it would be safe to say that many campers in Algonquin, especially in the heavily used areas, don't have the necessary skill to properly hang their food.  It's also the case that many campsites don't have a good tree for a simple food hang, thereby requiring that a line be suspended between two trees to create a suitable place to hang food.   That requires even more skill to setup than a simple food hang plus the foresight to bring along enough rope.   I think it would be desirable for the park to provide secure food storage in those areas that are heavily used and thus more prone to having bear problems.   Some campsites on Stratton lake are equipped with steel cables though in my opinion they are not really high enough off the ground to stop a bear.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.