You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2023 7:44 pm  #1

Tim River in the spring

I'm planning my annual spring trip in algonquin and was considering something different this year. Instead of a loop I'd like to start at the Tim access point and finish at Canoe lake.

I'm curious, to those who have done it, what your travel times are down the Tim River? My idea is:

Day 1 - shuttle from Canoe to Tim access point and camp at the farm remnants
Day 2 - Longer lake
Day 3+4 - Burntroot
Day 5 - White Trout
Day 6 - McIntosh or Tom Thompson
Day 7 - out

I'd prefer staying closer to Shippagew on the first night so I'd love some insight on other's travel times. I've paddled White Trout to Canoe via McIntosh in a day but would like to spend some time fishing and have more of a relaxed trip.

2/12/2023 3:10 pm  #2

Re: Tim River in the spring

Hi,

I’ve not paddled the stretch from the Tim River dam at Long Bow to the Queer Lake portage.  I’ve always entered the Tim via the 1450 meter and 410 meter from Queer so I can’t comment on your day one.
For day two last year I camped at the farm remnants site and then paddled to Shippagew the next day.  Was a very relaxing paddle with the goal of fishing as much as possible so you can get to Longer Lake no probs with time to fish.  The paddle from the 1450/410 meter portage to Shippagew was great.  There was maybe one lift over that wasn’t on the map which was no biggy.  Saw plenty of moose along that stretch I hope it will be the same for you.

2/12/2023 3:47 pm  #3

Thanks for your insight!

2/12/2023 5:43 pm  #4

What time is your shuttle dropping you at access 2?  That first day to the remnants might be a long one depending on recent blow downs/obstructions/beaver activity.  

2/12/2023 7:40 pm  #5

I was planning to be on the water around 10am so I was thinking that would get me to farm remnants around 5pm. I made it from the lower half of white trout to canoe lake via McIntosh in 8.5hrs so I figured Tim lake access to farm remnants leisurely would be 7hrs.

Last edited by NatureNeller (2/12/2023 7:42 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.